Oilchange pumps ?

Sven

Seglare
This is such a general question that I probably should post it on some other forum, but ...

I bought one of those small drill-powered pumps (Jabsco). What a waste of minimal space. With hot oil I'd guess it pumped a cup every 5 minutes using a fully charged Dewalt cordless drill.

We don't have room for one of those large integrated pump-container setups. The large manual syringes (if you know what I mean) look like they might do the job ?

How about a separate electric motorized pump ?

I can see no way of doing it but a permanently installed pick-up at the bottom of the oil pan run to a small pump sure would have been sweet.

What seems to work well in the real world ?

Thanks,

-Sven

PS, I'm surprised that in a 4-5 quart oil capacity the difference between low and full seems to be only about 1/2 pint !?

C Masone

Perfect Storm
Pressure Vacuum Pump

http://www.patriot-supply.com/products/showitem.cfm/MITCO_P132M

T
his is a link to a pump we use for priming of freeing up oil lines for heating oil systems. It is the pump I have used to change oil on my old Atomic 4 and my Universal. For the Atomic 4 I used a small tube down the dipstick tube and the universal has a hose attached to the drain plug. This pump will pump molasses! It takes, I guess, 40 - 60 strokes to pump 4 quarts but it is easy. I just hold the discharge side of it into a gallon jug (milk antifreeze ect) and pump away.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I used to use a drill powered cheap pump, like $18, with my old engine. It worked well as it was hooked up to a hose connected directly to the oil drain plug hole in the oil pan. The large diameter hose, directly to the oil pan made pumping easy for the cheap pump. My new engine had a different thread on the oil pan, I could not use the same hose setup. Now I suck the oil out of the dipstick hole with one of those thin plastic tubes and a Jabsco pump setup. Doesn't work anywhere near as well as the old setup. If you can do the hose to the pan deal, that is the way to go. RT

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
This works...

I have been using a vacuum oil extractor for over a decade. Works fine. My Universal diesel has the oil changing hose going to a stock banjo fitting that replaced a conventional pan plug. This was an option in the 80's and sometime later became standard on Universals. I have seen a similar oil change hose on other modern brands of diesel.
This pump/tank sucker used to come in a one gallon size only, perfect for my engine, but now is sold in a taller version as well.
There is a prior thread here with pictures of our banjo fitting and hose, BTW.

Loren

Attachments

• 300290.jpg
    300290.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 158

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Loren,

I meant to ask, how do you empty it ?

-Sven

Note the little rubber plug on the right side of the top. Once you release the vacuum you can pop that plug out just pour the contents into a jug for recycling.

I should note that the hose/tubing kit that came with this pump has small diameter tubing for slurping oil out of a dipstick pipe, too.

Loren

Last edited:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Loren, have you found a place to store your oil pump on your boat, or do you remove it each time? We are heading on a three week trip and I would like to take it along, but all lockers are full. I am cautiously pondering attaching it somewhere around the rudder tube--ie. out of the way, but where it won't interfere with anything. Do you (or others) have any suggestions?

Frank

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Loren, have you found a place to store your oil pump on your boat, or do you remove it each time? We are heading on a three week trip and I would like to take it along, but all lockers are full. I am cautiously pondering attaching it somewhere around the rudder tube--ie. out of the way, but where it won't interfere with anything. Do you (or others) have any suggestions
Frank

Wow... same problem has occurred to me for the same situation.
I keep the pump/tank in its box at home when not in use. I always figured that when we go cruising north for a couple months we would change oil before going and again after returning.

You know, it seems like it should be possible to make up a changer with hoses, a 12 volt pump like the little one fastened to the side of the larger poly tank, and an empty plastic milk jug.
I found an example for sale on the web for about $100. Only the pump and hoses are important, IMHO.

Loren

Attachments

• oil changer.jpg
    oil changer.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 150

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
So I think we need the mechanics and engineers to chime in...

Thanks for your reply, Loren. I also change the oil quite religiously, but when in more remote areas I would like to be able to change it in the unlikely event that I get water into it and don't have access to services. I am probably over-worrying on this as the engine is in good shape, with only about 1100 hours on it.

Maybe some of the mechanic experts can chime in as to whether being able to do unscheduled oil changes like this is important and under what circumstances this would be needed. And then if it is required, maybe we could figure out a simple pump/hose arrangement that wouldn't be so cumbersome as carrying the big tank along.

Thanks again for your reply.

Frank

Last edited:

bayhoss

Member III
Storage Idea

One idea that I have had for additional storage and maybe enough room for oil changing supplies is a false bottom in the anchor locker. If you made it out of plastic with ample holes for water drainage, it would give enough room for small, lightweight items that could be stored in waterproof enclosure. It's an idea that I haven't thought all the way thru, but it may give the space needed for small items. Just be careful not to have it so that the pump contents can drain into the water.

Best,
Frank

C Masone

Perfect Storm
I don't understand why you guys are so intent on having a dedicated 12v pump for and a reservoir. The pump I displayed takes up no room, needs no power, needs little effort, and all you need is a 1 gallon jug (anti freeze, milk ect.) to pump the oil into (and you won't have to keep a dirty container. This isn't brain surgery, its pumping oil out of an engine! This is a professional tool, all made of non corrosive brass, and it can suck an elephant through a porthole! The link is to a customer of mine who sells them online, its not my product, I make no money on this. Maybe when the season ends I will make like a five minute YouTube video on how its done, because that's about how long it takes. A lot less time than this discussion is taking.

Emerald

I kinda have to agree that unless there is some access issue, I don't quite get the need for a 12 volt pump and permanent reservoir either. Seems if you are in a worst case situation, e.g. loosing electrical capacity and your oil got contaminated, as in the electrics were also doused in water, the best would be an effective hand pump. Given that space is always a premium and a limited commodity, whatever empty jug Du jour can be the portable reservoir - just keep the last gallon jug or two of whatever on hand in case, and store them wherever you want until you need them. Just my .02....

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
What those two guys said.

I have a Yanmar 30HP. I just use a small handpump to extract the 3+ quarts of oil. The container it pumps into is a small round plastic orb-looking thing. I imagine that if I'm underway, I would simply pour the excess oil into another container, or just buy another handpump with larger capacity.

I kinda have to agree that unless there is some access issue, I don't quite get the need for a 12 volt pump and permanent reservoir either. Seems if you are in a worst case situation, e.g. loosing electrical capacity and your oil got contaminated, as in the electrics were also doused in water, the best would be an effective hand pump. Given that space is always a premium and a limited commodity, whatever empty jug Du jour can be the portable reservoir - just keep the last gallon jug or two of whatever on hand in case, and store them wherever you want until you need them. Just my .02....

Stu Jackson

C34IA Secretary

T
his is a link to a pump we use for priming of freeing up oil lines for heating oil systems. It is the pump I have used to change oil on my old Atomic 4 and my Universal. For the Atomic 4 I used a small tube down the dipstick tube and the universal has a hose attached to the drain plug. This pump will pump molasses! It takes, I guess, 40 - 60 strokes to pump 4 quarts but it is easy. I just hold the discharge side of it into a gallon jug (milk antifreeze ect) and pump away.

We do the same on our M25, but with a Par hand pump. The pump came with various sizes of hose, one thin enough to use the dipstick hole, and another the thicker one, to which I added a fitting to mate with the fitting at the end of the oil pan hose.

Last edited:

simdim

Member II
I use the same pump that Loren had mentioned and it works very well with oil pan tube on the Yanmar.
Cheers,

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I have the same pump that Loren posted a pic of, but I like the Patriot Supply pump. I can see with the PS pump there would be no need to transfer the oil from a pump to a disposal container. Just need to keep the PS pump in a plastic bag of some kind so it doesn't drip on anything after using.

When I have the spare $60+ I would consider purchasing one.

I also use the tall plastic pump to suck water out of the bilge where it collects in the TAFG. The thin hose helps a lot. The downside is the water has rusted the vacuum relief valve on the pump, so I have to open the pour spout plug to release the vacuum when the pump gets full. Not a big inconvenience, just saying...

Glyn Judson

Clean stowage of an oil pump.

Mark and all, I have the solution to oily hoses and stowage after use. I added a small pipe fitting and gasketed cap to the end of the clear vinyl discharge hose on my Reverso bulkhead mounted oil drain pump. When finished transferring oil with it, I cap the end, wipe all excess oil from the outside of the hose and she's as clean as you could ask for. I clip the hose to the bulkhead adjacent to the electric pump and nary a drop of oil has ever spilled out. I wish I knew more about pipe fittings to help you all zero in on what I used but it was a case of becoming what I call an "instant expert" to solve my problem. I then dismissed all I had learned, thus my inability to be able to share details. Suffice it to say that these were standard small pipe fittings that might be more readily available from an automotive house rather than a plumbing supply. Hope this adds to someone being able to come up with their own solution. Cheers, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Ahhh...Glyn finally reveals that he actually works for the DOD by suggesting a $429 solution to a $0.10 problem:

Plastic Bag: $0.10

Oil Change Pump: $429.00

Govt. Bureaucracy: Priceless

Just kidding! That is a nice little pump. Since I already have a hose connected to the engine oil pan I could probably connect that hose directly to the pump...or buy a $67 hand pump and a $0.10 plastic bag...

:)