Olson 911 for sale in SF?

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
I saw that ad too. Great price. There are several well known 911s, Capos, and Schumaker 30s in the bay but I have not heard anything about that boat? I did see an unknown to me 911 at our beer can races last week. I had heard that they didn't sign up, were rude to the RC, and sailed home toward Marin. Too bad. RYC now has four 911 owners (3 Ericsons and 1 Pacific). Six in the same race would make us a one design class.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Perhaps I just need my morning coffee, but that ad seems a bit "off."
It does not read like it was composed by an owner. Misspelled words, for one.
Perhaps a "curb stoner" broker, or someone who just bought it to flip.
Price is right, tho. It would be nice to know "the rest of the story..."

Being built by EY, the hull will be solid layup, which is a plus in an 80's boat. (IMHO)
I really like the 911s model, and we looked at one just before buying our 34, back in 1994.

The CL ad shows the state bow numbers, so anyone should be able to look up the legal owner. Perhaps maybe -- we can do that on-line in Oregon, anyway.

Last edited:

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Look at the engine picture and the mess of fluid in the pan below. Something seems at least a bit amiss there.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Look at the engine picture and the mess of fluid in the pan below. Something seems at least a bit amiss there.
I overlooked that picture first time around. Something amiss, indeed. Of course at that asking price, and maybe reduced a bit more, one could just swap in a new Betamarine20. :)

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
is this correct?

The 911s is said to be built by Pacific Boats (USA) /Ericson Yachts (USA)

Sailboatdata is happy to make corrections if anyone sees a need.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
That was one more part of the ad that was off kilter.
Olson 30 and Olson 911S. Two separate and totally different designs.

When EY picked up the molds and patterns for the Olson's in mid 1988, they took the O-25 and continued it in production. Same for the O-911S.
Other than one finished prototype by Pacific Boats, all of the O-34's were built by EY.

I did get sailboat data to somewhat correct their O-34 info, but they did not replace the inaccurate hull drawing with the as-built drawing. Their drawing shows a pre-production boat with the wrong rudder and wrong keel. All of the EY produced boats had (AFAIK) an elliptical rudder (same one used on the 911S), and an elliptical lead keel.

Last edited:

Slick470

Member III
The Pacific Boats Olson 911S was based off of the earlier Capo 30. Primary differences were a the Olson has a different cockpit, slightly shorter rig, elliptical foils, and a nicer interior fit-out. Ericson changed the hull to solid layup, revised the keel structure, and put their own spin on the interior fit-out. There were approx 8 Capo 30s, 25 PB Olson 911S, and 51 or 52 Ericson/Olson 911S.

On the Ericson side, there is an early ad for the boat calling it the Olson 30S, but I'm glad they didn't go that route as it would have made things even more confusing when searching for information now. There is also some confusion on the SE designation with some claiming all Ericson built boats are SE's or it was a trim package that was set up as more racy than the S, or vice versa. I've never seen anything official from Ericson that mentions SE though. Seems like the PHRF board's generally refer to the Ericson built boats as SE and the Pacific Boats as S. About a 6 second difference in ratings depending on location.

As far as other Carl Schumacher designs, the Olson 911S is very similar in styling to the Express line of boats built by the Alsberg Brothers Boat works. The Express 37 and 34. The Express 34 is often compared to the Olson 34 in terms of similar design and performance. Also a good chance both 34's put Pacific and Alsberg out of business. Too expensive to build/develop, not enough profit margin.