Original colors for '71 E-29 shear stripe

Ray Hughes

Member I
Hello, I'm refurbishing my 1971 E-29. The shear stripe (just below the rub-rail) was originally a yellow color, and has since been re-painted a dark brown. The paint needs to be stripped and re-done. I'd like to keep the boat as original as possible. Any input as to what the color options were when the boat was built? Thanks, Ray Hughes, E-29 Capricious.

I have an E-27 and the stripe is dark blue, bordered along the bottom with a silver tape of 1/4". Looks great. Same treatment along the waterline. Dark brown reminds me of...
Morgan Stinemetz

Bob in Va

Member III
Other colors

Don't know about that year, but in the mid-70s there was an orange, a medium blue, a darker blue (my boat), a green, a red, a yellow (of course), a sort of green tan, and a black, to name some. There may have been others, but I have photos of or have seen all these. I suspect Seth can help out here.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Ppg

PPG was the supplier-the original boat docs should indicate what PPG umber the hull, deck and stripes were. I'm sure you have the original docs, right?;)

You may be able to find it through PPG, though-hopefully their cust. service can help. Or, if you know the colors by name, maybe one of the members here will have the correct PPG number..Also, check with a boat yard..

Good luck!

Lew Decker

Member III
Someone on an early thread - maybe a year ago - said the dark blue sheer stripe on Ericsons was Interlux Brightside Polyurethane #4316 Dark Blue. I never checked to see if this was accurate, but it sounds good:egrin: .

missalot

Member II
I am just curious, my 1970 E29, hull 85, has the sheer and boot stripe color (yellow/gold) in the gel-coat not painted on afterwards. About when did the sheer and boot stripe become painted on, not part of the molding process?

Art Mullinax

Member III
No stripe

My 71 E29 doesn't have a sheer stripe (never had one). The boot stripe was red until it started fading pinkish. It's at a faded point where you can see the brush marks.
Missalot,
I noticed you have a 70 E29 with a hull number of 85. My 71 E29 is hull # 53. It's stamped on the upper rudder post plate mounted on the cockpit floor. Mine is tiller steered. Do the hull numbers start over each year?

Last edited:

frank

Frank
Love knot
My 75,E27 has a molded in red (now dull pink) sheer stripe and boot top. I have painted the deck cockpit and cabin with Pettit Easypoxy Last fall and will paint the hull this spring. I will use the same paint but I will use blue for the two hull stripes as I feel that I may have less trouble with fading.

Last edited: