Outhaul modifications

Emerald

Hi All,

trying to decide which way to go with my outhaul. It is a direct 1:1 setup right now, which means if the sail is up, it's pretty useless, and even heading up it still requires a ridiculous amount of effort for a nice tight foot.

I have seen small winches mounted on booms before. This was my first thought. my second thought would be to try to rig up a 6:1 setup internal to the boom. The issues here are fitting it all in the boom - think would be limited to triple 30mm blocks, maybe a pair of triple 40's, but probably 30's, and modifying to boom to attach one end of the 6:1 internally, which I could probably do pretty easily with a through-bolt.

So, any thoughts on this? The winch strikes me as the easiest way, but perhaps I should try to make it internal.

Thanks in advance.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Outhaul

David,
I have a 4:1 set-up on my outhaul using 1/4" line, two small harken blocks and a cam cleat. It's not effortless, but I don't need to head-up to adjust unless its blowing over 10 kts. I can post a picture later if you want.

Grant Kiba
E27, #406
Antioch, CA

Emerald

Hi Grant,

A picture would be great. I am leaning towards putting a setup with triples inside the boom - the existing line is internal. I went to my favorite place for lunch, Bacon's, and it looks like I could fit some small Harken triples they have inside the boom. I'll have to make some measurements tonight to make sure I can really fit this inside.

Thanks!

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
I upgraded mine this past spring from 4:1 (still useless when you actually need it) to 8:1. It makes a huge difference. It's all internal with the line coming out and going to a cleat on the boom. Next upgrade is to run it back to the cockpit (which is why I just left it on the cleat for now, as opposed to a cam cleat). It's a really nice little upgrade for $50. Even if you move it back to the cockpit, you still want it to be a hand pull.
Just my $0.02
Chris

Glyn Judson

Outhauls.

David and all,

I just went to my 2007-2008 Harken catalog and found five different solutions to outhauls from 2:1 to 6:1 but no 8:1. Chris, can you supply photos or drawings for your 8:1 installation including a parts list and how you did it?

I want to know how one is supposed to get all that gear attached in the boom, like the eye straps. Would that be done with the lines already attached to the straps prior to using (I presume) pop rivets to attach the eye strap? How can the hardware be held inside there long enough to precisely align with the mounting holes in order to get a rivet in there and a gun on that, etc? Confused in Santa Monica, GLyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Use a doubler

A 4:1 attached to a 2:1 doubler is the best way to get lots of purchase (8:1)without too many blocks or too much line. We have talked about this before for vangs-I don't have the ability at the moment for a pic, but the Harken catalog should show this...

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Remember that you have a *long* skinny tunnel to enclose your multi part tackle and can achieve a formidible amount of purchase without the width of triple blocks....
I have done a cascading purchase inside of a boom. The line can be something like T-900, 3/16".
Alfter all, you are only trying to cause about 6" of movement at the mainsail clew. You will need to create a secure point of attachment inside the boom.
On our prior boat I used the ss thru-bolt for the mainsheet near the rear, and a thrubolt at the vang attachment. Assembling all this, even without the ends on the boom, took some fiddling around with the tackles and methods had to be invented to insert them and get the termination shackles to line up... :rolleyes:

Fun stuff to do at home on a cold winter night.
:)

Loren

Emerald

Hi Glyn,

I don't have a hard copy catalog, and having no luck finding this on Harken's website, which seems really obtuse sometimes. Can you point me to some pictures online someplace, or have you only found this in the hard copy catalog? I didn't even see a place to order a catalog on their website - feeling blind - it must be there....

Emerald

Thanks Mark,

I was in the mainsail handling section, kept finding outhauls for furling main sails, and now I see the tech link....

Now, how do we put a multiplier in here, like for an 8:1?

:egrin:

Last edited:

Howard Keiper

Here's a scheme I came up with...only a 3part or so purchase, but you don't need any more than that. This is on my E-35 II, 1972.

Howard Keiper
Sea Quest
Berkeley

Attachments

• boom bail exit.jpg
    boom bail exit.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 119
  • boomportbail.jpg
    boomportbail.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 98
  • boomforexit.jpg
    boomforexit.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 102
  • boom outexit.jpg
    boom outexit.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 116

Emerald

Hi Howard,

thanks for the pictures. I see you do have a winch. Is this for a reefing system, and if so, how do you like it, and how does the line run through your main? The "new" main I have just picked has a block webbed on the sail by the luff in line with the reef points, and I am thinking this is for a single line system, which perhaps would go down to a winch on the boom, but not having ever had a setup like this, not really sure how it should be rigged.

Howard Keiper

David...

When I reef, which I usually do sometime in June when the wind pipes up reliably just afternoon, I lash the tack cringle to the gooseneck ( I don't have a hook) and pull the reef-line in tightly to pull the aft end of the sail down. This often requires the winch. I can use the winch to haul the reef or outhaul lines. When I originally set this up I decided to use cam cleats to hold the outhaul and/or reef lines...can't remember why, but it seemed like a good idea at the time. Now I realize I should probably use a more modern line brake.

Howard

larossa

Member II
Outhaul for E 31C

David,

I replaced my original equipment 2:1 outhaul this past year for my E 31C. I put a 6:1 system inside my boom and it works great. It’s very similar to the Harken system in their 07 catalog on page 31 (6:1 Internal). I did not put on the traveler car though. I used the 2.25 double and triple blocks which are rated at 1000+ lbs. Let me know if you would like more information. Since its internal there’s not much to see but I could take a picture of the line exiting out of the end of the boom into the cam cleat.

Good luck,

Brian

larossa

Member II
Getting gear inside

David and all,

I just went to my 2007-2008 Harken catalog and found five different solutions to outhauls from 2:1 to 6:1 but no 8:1. Chris, can you supply photos or drawings for your 8:1 installation including a parts list and how you did it?

I want to know how one is supposed to get all that gear attached in the boom, like the eye straps. Would that be done with the lines already attached to the straps prior to using (I presume) pop rivets to attach the eye strap? How can the hardware be held inside there long enough to precisely align with the mounting holes in order to get a rivet in there and a gun on that, etc? Confused in Santa Monica, GLyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Glyn,

If I'm understanding you correctly, In order to get the blocks and line inside you have to feed / pull through from one end to the other. This requires that both ends be taken off of the boom. Your eye strap is generally put on toward or as close to the end of the boom as possible so you can reach it with the end off. You then can easily rivet the eye strap in place. I use an eye splice for the ends of my lines when connecting to an eye strap or block. So yes the line would already be attached to the strap. It’s much cleaner this way. Let me know if you have any further questions, I hope I answered them for you.

Brian

E31C