Panel lights

wayneking

1986 Ericson 38-200
I would like to change out the lights on my breaker panel. I believe they are the original amber incandescents. Some are burned out and the ones that work are blinding at night so i would like to change to red leds. It's not obvious to me that the bulbs can be removed from the front of the panel. To remove them from the back I would have to take the whole panel apart since space is too tight to get to any of them. So, I'm hoping that someone has an easy answer as to how to do this.

wayneking

1986 Ericson 38-200
Are these on the AC or DC panel?
Mostly the DC panel although there are lights on the AC panel that need to be replaced as well. The AC panel isn't as crowded so might be easier access in the back. I didn't pull that one.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Keep us posted on your progress.
All of our little "indicator lights" are working, but the panel was built in 1988. I might be mistaken, but I believe that these are tiny little incandescent bulbs, and a modern replacement would likely be an LED unit.
If someone has replaced theirs I hope they will chime in.

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
Mostly the DC panel although there are lights on the AC panel that need to be replaced as well. The AC panel isn't as crowded so might be easier access in the back. I didn't pull that one.
Gotcha. I asked because on my E26, only the AC panel has lights on it. Mine actually have the opposite problem, they flicker and aren't bright at all. Unfortunately I don't have the answer as I'm still contemplating replacing mine, but this project hasn't floated to the top of the list, yet.

Do you have an idea what you'd replace them with? I was looking at the Blue Sea Indicator Lights as an idea.

wayneking

1986 Ericson 38-200
Gotcha. I asked because on my E26, only the AC panel has lights on it. Mine actually have the opposite problem, they flicker and aren't bright at all. Unfortunately I don't have the answer as I'm still contemplating replacing mine, but this project hasn't floated to the top of the list, yet.

Do you have an idea what you'd replace them with? I was looking at the Blue Sea Indicator Lights as an idea.
I've seen the Blue Sea panel. Looks really nice. I wasn't planning on replacing the entire panel(s) but maybe that's the best option. Hoping someone has a solution that is less of a project.

wayneking

1986 Ericson 38-200
Nor am I - that should have been a link only to their AC and DC LEDs.
It was a link to their LEDs. Thanks. However I would need to pretty much disconnect everything in order to replace with those in which case I might consider an entire new panel.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Good thread! Being curious to see how I might replace my OEM "ruby lights" in my 1988 Newmar panel, I just emailed their tech help addy -- perhaps they have something on hand to replace those little lights.

(They previously sold me a new analog expanded-scale DC panel meter that exactly replaced the worn out one. Reasonable price, too.)

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Sure, I've periodically replaced half a dozen indicator lamps on my original Ericson panel--should've done them all at once.

Styles are different. LED is better but I stuck with incandescent to match the originals.

indicator lamps Capture.JPG

Last edited:

wayneking

1986 Ericson 38-200
Sure, I've periodically replaced half a dozen indicator lamps on my original Ericson panel--should've done them all at once.

Styles are different. LED is better but I stuck with incandescent to match the originals.

View attachment 41731
So, looks like I have to replace the entire light unit (not just a bulb), correct? I see 5/16 and 1/4 sizes there. Which size fits the original panel? Also, some light units say they are 14v, others 12v. Why aren't they all 12v (or 120v for the AC panel)?

driftless

Member III
Blogs Author
So, looks like I have to replace the entire light unit (not just a bulb), correct? I see 5/16 and 1/4 sizes there. Which size fits the original panel? Also, some light units say they are 14v, others 12v. Why aren't they all 12v (or 120v for the AC panel)?
Yes, replace the whole unit. 5/16" is the correct size.

As I recall the old ones have a metal retainer clip on the back that I had to pry off to pull them out. I think the new ones just fit in snug enough that the clip wasn't necessary? It's been a while. The lamps I linked to will work for either 12 or 24 volt DC.

For the AC side, the lamps are amber instead of red. And again, will work over the range of AC voltages you might be wired for.
Here's the link - https://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod.php?4884/115/230+Volt+AC+Panel+Indicator+Light+-+Amber

debonAir

Member III

View attachment 41731
Yikes: 12 bucks a light? My panel would be the most valuable part of the boat :)

I plan on replacing all the incandescents on my DC panel with LEDs this spring. The plan is to color code them red / yellow / where reds are the ones I never want to leave on (bilge pump, propane solenoid, etc.) and yellows are the low draw circuits I'd leave on for long periods (anchor light, AIS, etc.) After I installed a battery monitor it was really eye-opening how much power each one of those little incandescent panel lights draws. My cabin lights are all LED now, and turning ALL of them on is about the same draw as the single "Cabin Light" panel indicator bulb, which also has a bunch of layers of tape on over it to keep the brightness down at night. That one will get a resistor or something.

You can get non-marine (i.e. the same part without "sea" in the name) panel lights for a buck or 2 each. I'm getting these nice
metal ones which have backing nuts too, so dont have to worry about snap-fit not being tight.

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The Newmars in the preceding post are less than $5. Trouble is, for my panel, the style is different so I'd have to change out them all.

Note: my replacement of the Refrigerator breaker lamp just burned out again after 6 months. Since it's on all the time, I'll have to switch to LED for that one.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
After I installed a battery monitor it was really eye-opening how much power each one of those little incandescent panel lights draws.

Good point. What do they draw?

I recently pulled one of those old unused lights off the "spare" circuit to replace the burned out "service" light (shows when the panel is powered). I'm already wishing I hadn't.

debonAir

Member III
The panel incandescents using 2162 bulbs are 1.4 W, so each panel indicator takes about 0.1 A (100ma). Each LED cabin light is 1/2 W so takes about 0.036 A (36 ma), so 3 LED cabin lights on takes the same current as just 1 panel light. My anchor light is LED also. With the solar panel I am sure I could leave some cabin lights and the anchor light on all day/night continually if I wanted which is comforting.

yeah, I am going to put some resistors inline on the panel lights for circuits I usually have always on all night: cabin lights and AIS.

RCsailfast

E35-3 Illinois
50C67952-0831-4E25-AC5A-8E458ED9B60C.jpeg
I used these for the DC panel rebuild last year. The old lamp wires were all cracked and was a good time to switch to LED fixtures. These came with 900mm long leads so no splicing was needed when installing. Very pleased with the ease of install and work great.

For the AC panel I just ordered these. Several were cracked and needed replacing too. They look similar to the DC lamps so should look visually the same. Decided to stick with all yelllow on AC as the DC lamps are all red