Paper Navigation Charts. 20 pounds worth.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Not sure what to do with 20 Pounds of Paper Navigation Charts.:confused:

My Father has been collecting Navigation Charts since the mid 1960's through the mid 1990's. Dad did some extensive cruising in the Pacific Northwest, British Columbia & Alaska, so there are quite a few of those areas. But he also has charts from the South Pacific, Indian Ocean, West Coast, Mexico, Mediterranean and on and on. Some are NOAA, US Geological Survey, Pilot Charts and other formats. They are all rolled up. Some have notes and stains and others are almost brand new.

I have just scraped the surface in trying to catalog them. Alas I don't think I will be doing a circumnavigation any time soon. It would be nice to get some kind of compensation for them. I know Minney's Yacht Surplus charges about $2.00 each for used charts. If I hauled them down there they would probably only give me pennies on the dollar for them. I think between Free, $2.00 and $5.00 each would be a fair price depending on condition if I were to sell them.

I have also been thinking of donating them to LA Maritime Museum, or Los Angeles Maritime Institute.

It will be a daunting task to try to list them all but I have started.:esad: To tell you the truth I would rather be sailing then cataloging all these charts in my Garage. I thought I would post this here on the Ericson Board first to see what the demand for used charts would be. I know if you were to buy them new from West Marine they are about $20.00 each now.

If you live in close proximity to me (LA Area) I would be willing to let you take a look (dig through the rolls). As far as shipping them out I would also have to charge for the cost of postage. I am also going to need to get quite a few tubes to ship them in.

Anyway, if you are interested in a particular area or chart please let me know and I will try to see if I have it. Please be patient.

God, my Old Man Dreamed big about sailing to exotic places. He also spent a lot of money and time collecting these charts.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Emerald, I don't know yet I should have that answer for you early next week after I get them all unrolled.

seanflinn

Inactive Member
charts

Hey Jeff, I would be interested in the south pacific... I too have a pretty extensive collection of vintage charts. Mostly of panama thru the canal and all over the west indies... All in pristine condition. Maybe we could start a source for used charts in the area. My wife and I spent hours unrolling and folding over 200+ charts, some of them over 50 years old. Please call me or email me when you get a chance. seanflinn500@yahoo.com or 310 999 4937 Sean
1970 E35 2 hull#124