Pedestal Guard for mid-70's Yacht Specialties -what brand worked for you?

robjpowell

Member II
We own a 1976 E35-2 that has never had a pedestal guard fitted. As we continue to upgrade her it is now time to do add one as somewhere to mount a small chart plotter/GPS. Obviously Yacht Specialties parts are close to non-existant so I either need to fabricate this myself or use a currently available brand (Edson, Navpod, ??). I have searched the forums around the topic but did not find any thread where someone had added this item recently and told which brand top-plate was easiest to fit. Any help out there?

1976 E35-2
Yacht Specialties pedestal
A4 engine controls (fwd/rev on Port, Speed on Stbd)

Thanks

Rob

Emerald

It's worth a call to Bacon's to see what they have. They usually have YS pedestals and parts kicking around. Here's their website:

http://www.baconsails.com/

another option would be to grab a copy of Good Old Boat and start going through the surplus shops listed in their classifieds.

robjpowell

Member II
David,
Thanks for the reminder. After living in Baltimore for 14y, up until 4y ago, I used to frequent them regularly. Now with distance I don't tend to think of them so much. I will give it a shot.
Rob

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Having a custom guard made is not very expensive. I had one made for my 35-5 a couple of years ago for about $100. They shaped it and then polished it to a mirror finish. So much nicer than anything Edson, YS or Navpod ever made.

I used Nautilus Marine fabrication: http://www.nautilus-marine.com

robjpowell

Member II
Thanks Tim. I had seen your comment in an earlier thread and had made a note to call them if nothing came to light (last year I had enquired of a local shop about bending the stainless and was told it will take a 1/2 to 1 day and will cost $500 - 1000+ (1" tube, with 1 angle bend ea. side & top bend). I was hoping, probably unrealistically, that someone would tell me...'Oh just use this one, it's top plate is compatible with the pedestal and you can buy their tube off the shelf'.
Rob

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
$500 - $1,000 sounds pretty ridiculous; it's a 7/8" piece of stainless tubing with a bend (or a couple of bends) in the top. Call a marine stainless fabricator like Railmakers in Costa Mesa, CA.