• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Pink Panther

Anzac

Member II
4ED9CFA0-055C-48E2-9EC8-41F005EF1312.jpeg
Can’t wait to check the pulpit mounts for leaks. This is probably where than scary water is coming from.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
View attachment 46349
Can’t wait to check the pulpit mounts for leaks. This is probably where than scary water is coming from.
Good luck with the ”new to you” boat! In the photo what is that “fixture” just behind the anchor locker? Is it for a staysail?
Also, being an east coast, Chesapeake Bay sailor, I couldn’t help but notice the extremely high piling for the floating docks you have there. You folks really do have big tidal ranges there! If it were like that where I sail Annapolis would be under water every other week! :)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Good luck with the ”new to you” boat! In the photo what is that “fixture” just behind the anchor locker? Is it for a staysail?
Also, being an east coast, Chesapeake Bay sailor, I couldn’t help but notice the extremely high piling for the floating docks you have there. You folks really do have big tidal ranges there! If it were like that where I sail Annapolis would be under water every other week! :)
That not-too-clear-in-the-photo fitting might be the swivel block for a fore guy line, for the spinnaker pole. The pole appears to be stored vertically on the mast.

Piling. Ah yes. This is on the Columbia River, and from a summer low water level to flood stage in the early spring can rise to well over 16 feet (at which point is classified as flood stage).
For insurance reasons all piling tops are driven to survive a declared "100 year" flood level. In 1996 all the marinas in Portland were a few feet short of floating off the pilings. Huge snow accumulation and very rapid warming period with lots more rain. Just up from where this photo was taken our yacht club had several feet in our parking lot, and docks were only accessible by skiff for a number of days. It was "interesting" as the saying goes!
Here is the local river lever link. https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=pqr&gage=vapw1

"Zero" on the official gauge is a chart datum designation and does not mean the river is dry, BTW. :oops:

Note that we get two tides a day, even tho 90 miles upstream from the sea. Current is a factor almost all the time, but nearer to no current for a brief time at high tide. A friend of mine refers to sailing here as "side hill sailing".... ! Mark rounding can be challenging.

Anzac

Member II
I think that's the spinnaker pole downhaul bock and possible source of the forepeak leak as found Saturday. She has a massive pole mounted vertically on the mast. As part of my offer, I am going to ask for a sea trial too. Just to make sure everything is working correctly, using all sails and equipment.

Yes, the pilings here go to 11. As Loren said, back in 1996 we had the 100 year flood and lot of marinas floated away. We also had icebergs floating on by. That was a wild year with the perfect storm of a Pineapple express hitting after a hard winter.

Marlin Prowell

E34 - Bellingham, WA
ERY34279I889 - note that the letter between the "9" and the "8" is an upper case "i", not the digit "1". For HINs, the serial number is 34279, but boat manufacturers, including Ericson, typically use the boat length (34) as the first two digits of the serial number and the next three digits as the hull number.

ERY = Ericson Yachts Inc (Out of Business)
34 = Length
279 = Hull number
I8 = Manufactured September 1988
89 = Model year 1989
A bit of trivia about the HIN: Ericson built two 34 foot boats. The original 34 is sometimes called a 34X. Ericson in their literature called the 1987 model both a 34-2 and also just 34. They started the HIN numbers for the 34-2 series at ERY342XXX so this boat is the 79th E34-2 built.

Our HIN is ERY34203I687. That’s 77 E34s built in two years, more than 3 a month.

Anzac

Member II
Hi Marlin

So you have an early 34-2. Do we know how many 34-2's were built? I know that Pacific Seacraft took over the molds in 1990.

Anzac

Member II
74180FE1-23EA-44F6-A4D6-BA63AA89D533.jpeg
The brokerage add says she has a propane stove but I found this CNG cylinder in the starboard lazarette. Can this be removed and filled or do I need and newer cylinder? Really don’t want to use propane if possible. They have a propane bottle inside the aft lazarette but it’s probably for a barbecue grill as the hose is not routed inside.
The oven inside is CNG original. I found a refilling station in Vancouver, Wa so I hope they will be able to help out. Otherwise it's propane conversion time.

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
The brokerage add says she has a propane stove but I found this CNG cylinder in the starboard lazarette. Can this be removed and filled or do I need and newer cylinder? Really don’t want to use propane if possible. They have a propane bottle inside the aft lazarette but it’s probably for a barbecue grill as the hose is not routed inside.
The oven inside is CNG original. I found a refilling station in Vancouver, Wa so I hope they will be able to help out. Otherwise it's propane conversion time.
Hi Traveler,
I put some related links in the thread where you asked specifically about the stoves. They may be helpful. We're also facing this conundrum.
Cheers,
Jeff

Anzac

Member II
Thanks Jeff

There is always the little clicker ignitor tabletop/camping butane stoves. My wife loves these things and they do come in handy.

Pete the Cat

Member III
View attachment 46349
I would recommend checking all the stanchion bases and the water and diesel fill necks. On my boat (that was very much in the same shape as yours---neglected but not abused)all of them were leaking some. Butyl tape is fast, clean and seals much much better than old silicone.

Anzac

Member II
Hi Ray

Sounds like butyl tape is the way to go for re-bedding everything. I was going to use silicone but the tape sounds easier to use and less messy.

BTW, where in Alameda do you keep your boat? Our Santana 22 was on Santana Row at the Alameda Marina. What happy days sailing the estuary and the Bay.

Marlin Prowell

E34 - Bellingham, WA
Do we know how many 34-2's were built?
I haven’t seen a count. When I saw your HIN, I realized that there have been at least 79 built.

Most owners don’t publish their HIN. I haven’t see anyone mention that their E34-2 had a HIN that started ERY343XXX so perhaps less than 100 were built.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
As of today this Ericson is still listed as being for sale at the brokerage. Following this thread, I thought that it was sold. (?) If it has changed hands it would be cool if the owner joined my YC. :)

peaman

Sustaining Member
I had water in my forward V-berth compartment as well, and determined that it was from the aft joint between the chain locker pan and the deck. I had to remove the chain locker pan, which also allowed access to the bow pulpit stanchions and forward cleats, and I rebedded everything with butyl. Having read opinions here about the quality of butyl from different sources, I made a point of using only Bed-It tape from marinehowto.com.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
My rule is, Bed-It butyl for anything that's bolted down, caulk for anything screwed down. (Butyl requires strong pressure to seal).

Anzac

Member II
Hi everyone. The boat is still for sale. Change of plans for me this year. Might still be looking next year, you never know.

bertboyer

Member I
Dear Anzac,
Lots of discussion on this boat and it is still for sale. I was going to look at it in a week or two. Can you share what you learned from a survey or haul out that may have changed your mind? Thanks!

Anzac

Member II
Dear Anzac,
Lots of discussion on this boat and it is still for sale. I was going to look at it in a week or two. Can you share what you learned from a survey or haul out that may have changed your mind? Thanks!
Hi bertboyer. The boat is pretty solid and an original owner. Located at Portland Yacht Club. Is has some leakage coming from the box pulpit railing dripping down onto the vinyl liner. Probably easy fix - just rebed and remove liner etc and re-install.

It does not have the latest GPS stuff - just some older NAV equipment. Did not start the diesel but the lights and things down below looked good.

Should be a good boat for the right buyer. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Regarding the custom paint job, I think it's attractive enough to keep for a few seasons while a new owner gets used to the boat in functional ways. While I might want to change or personalize it for us at some point, this would not be on my initial purchase list of priorities.
Just another .02 worth.

Not many Ericson's out there with a Jazz Themed name....
:cool:
(Now I can't get that cool music out of my mind!)

Last edited: