Please help I.D. our boat!

Leo Muzzatti

Howdee folks. We have a 1985 Ericson purchased in North Carolina, but which originated in Ohio (Lake Erie launch I suspect). All the information received on the boat indicated it was an "Ericson 30", however it has not been possible to I.D. it definitely as any of the models shown on this website. The closest found is the 30+, however that one looks like an older model and there are some differences. The LOA (29'11") and beam (10'5") are right on, however the brochure shows only one port on each side forward of the two fixed windows on each side. We have two ports forward of the windows on each side (similar to the set up on the E-29) - one each side aft of the bulkhead, one each side forward. Our cabin layout is also slightly different (ladder stairs instead of steps - basically looks like a more modern rendition) and 3 cylinder 23 hp Universal diesel - not 2 cylinder 16 hp.

Can anyone help out? Do we simply have a later model 30+? If so, are there specs/brochures available for this. If you have a photo or specs that are consistent with our scenario - would appreciate receiving. Thanks much.
L. Muzzatti
:esad:

ccorcoran

Member II
I'm attaching a link to a 1983 30+ that's for sale. The photos should help you determine if your boat is a 30+. The 30+ was made from 1983 to 1985 and was replaced by the new E28 in 1986. Here's the 30+ link - http://home.earthlink.net/~indig/Ericson_30/Ericson_30_index.html Some other things to consider in identifying your boat, if memory serves, the late model 30+ is a fractional rig (pretty apparent). In addition, check the serial number on the stern of the boat (it appears as a dymo label in the gelcoat). The numbers will tell you the model, year of manufacture and the hull number. Good luck.

Leo Muzzatti

Thanks Chris/Wendy. The link provided does not appear to be active (page not found), however the info you provided is nonetheless useful. We do have the fractional rig, so it's looking like that's where we slot in. Perhaps someone else will reply with photo etc. Thanks Again and good luck!
L. Muzzatti
:egrin:

ccorcoran

Member II
Leo,

Sorry the link didn't work. That particular boat is listed on this website in the for sale section. In addition, there are pdf brochures and spec sheets in the specs & documents section of this website covering the 30+. As a last resort, you can always visit the Ericson Library website where there are pictures/specs of most Ericson yachts.

Good luck!

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi folks,

Had the problem with the link, too, but then I noticed there was a period (.) at the end if the URL in the address. Get rid of the period and the URL will work. Don't know why the period goes with the URL. Haven't seen that bug before.

That's a beautiful E30+, by the way.

Cheers

Craig

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Fix-Ola!

I edited his post - and corrected the URL. Also - here's the image:

//sse

Attachments

• side%20view.jpg
    side%20view.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 420

therapidone

Member III
Are you certain that the beam is 10' 5" and not 10' 6" or 10.5'?

The Ericson/30+ that we own and the specs on the E/30+ brochure available on this site under docs list the beam as 10' 6".

The brochure also lists a different model Univesal engine than the one we have...ours is an 18 or M 18, 2-cylinder. I believe that model is only 14hp.

The LOA is 29' 11.5", LWL is 25' 4.5"

(this is an edited addendum to the original reply: I've checked ANOTHER doc available on this site...a specs doc for the E/30+. It lists the beam as 10'5", the LOA as 29' 11", and the LWL as 25' 4"! So now it appears as if those specs match the E-30 II! From the brochures available on this site, though, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if your boat doesn't have an "outboard" rudder, it's probably and E/30+ The confusion presented via the two documents available on this site for E/30+ models has managed to get me dizzy!)

HIN is ERY30721J687 which translates as:
ERY=Ericson; 30=model (all Ericson 30-footers have this designation, I believe); 721=serial number...supposedly the 30+ models began with either 500 or 501, I've seen it both ways!;J=October;6=86 (the combination of these two means that the boat was built in October of '86); 87=the model year of the boat.

There are two specs for interpreting HINs, pre-August 1984 & post. Here's a link to HINs: http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hin.html

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Ed

Last edited:

Leo Muzzatti

Thank you Ed for your posting. I was a little hasty in indicating the beam and I think I referred to the posted specs instead of our own information. It was indicated in the "for sale" info. that the beam is 10' 6", and we have no reason to challenge this. Our engine is an M-25 Universal. I guess my frustration is that we've never been able to spot or even see a photo of another Ericson with the exact the same specs overall. Happy Sailing!
Leo
:egrin: