• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Plumbing an E/30+ for propane

bwb

E/30+ Berkeley, CA
I'm in the process of replacing the nonfunctional alcohol range on my 30+ with a new propane range. My boat has the integral propane locker in the starboard aft lazarette, but as far as I can tell no plumbing was ever run to the galley.

On removing the plywood panels behind the stove area, I discovered one end of what appears to be a conduit made of plastic pipe, leading aft, presumably for running a propane hose. However, I cannot figure out where the other end of this conduit is! I was about to probe 3 or so feet into the conduit before hitting an obstruction. The conduit would be hidden by the liner pan in the port lazarette/engine compartment at this point. This conduit appears to be the only practical way of leading a hose aft without tearing up the cabinetry.

Any other 30+ owners have propane stoves? How's it done?

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Is the planned propane stove the only propane appliance you will be installing, or do you also have something else like a propane heater? On my 1984E30+, I have a propane stove in the galley on the port side, a sniffer/safety valve by the nav station and a propane heater on the starboard bulkhead in the main cabin just before entering the v-berth area. I don't know if this is the original factory installation, or if it was done by a previous owner. I also have the propane stern locker.
Unfortunately, I don't have access to our boat again until April, but I will check this evening to see if the design drawings include the propane hose installation. If so, I'll post any details tomorrow.
Good luck with this.
Frank.

Glyn Judson

Propane hose run(s)

Dear bwb and others,

Should you choose to supply more than the stove with propane from your locker, you should know that there needs to be a separate hose for each appliance exiting the locker. That means making a manifold inside the locker for each appliance. I learned this the hard way before knowing the ABYC or Coast Guard rules (can't remember which or even both). I had made a run from my locker to a propane heater on the port forward bulkhead and in passing the porpane stove on the port side, simply had a T-fitting there and a short hose supplying the stove. I later found out about the rule and retrofitted both appliances with their own hoses. Making a maniflod is as simple as putting that T-fitting inside the locker and then running separate lines from there. If looking for that not-too-common bulkhead gas fitting for the locker, I can tell you that I got mine from Seaward, the stove people here in Los Angeles. Regards, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Vapor proof feed thrus

If looking for that not-too-common bulkhead gas fitting for the locker, I can tell you that I got mine from Seaward, the stove people here in Los Angeles.
They are in the West Marine catalog and Defender Industries also. I would assume every serious chandler would stock them. They come in different sizes for hoses and wires.

Speaking of wires, on my E-34 the wires for the gas solenoid and a light over the stove were preinstalled saving a bunch wire pulling. :)

Glyn Judson

Propane bulkhead fitting sources.

All, Tom makes a good point directing folks to West Marine, etc. At the time I either hadn't checked or if I did, they weren't readily available through these sources. A well placed call to Seaward and I ended up talking the the owner who was impressed that I was doing it the right way and sent the danged thing to me for free within a day or two of our phone conversation, thus the Seaward link to getting one. Please folks, don't take this as an excuse to ask for a free one too just because of his kindness to me. Happy Holidays to all, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

bwb

E/30+ Berkeley, CA
propane

The only planned propane appliance is the range. I bought a Xintex sniffer/valve control which I plan to mount at the nav station, with the sensor in the bilge nearby. BTW, if anyone else is considering buying Xintex hardware, DO NOT buy it directly from the manufacturer's website. Their markup is nearly 100% over defender.com. Unbelievable. Even West Marine's retail price is less.

Brian

bwb

E/30+ Berkeley, CA
Propane hose routing

Unfortunately, I don't have access to our boat again until April, but I will check this evening to see if the design drawings include the propane hose installation. Frank.

Hi Frank,

Is your boat back in action for the season yet? The plumbing drawings for the E/30+ are unfortunately not detailed enough for me to deduce how the propane hose is routed, so I'd really appreciate it if you could poke around for a minute and see if you can figure anything out. Maybe take a look at where the hose goes after it exits the propane tank locker? I'm still completely baffled by my boat, and almost to the point of cutting inspection ports into the liner in the lazarette to try to figure this out.

Thanks much, and happy sailing!

Brian

WhiteNoise

Member III
Conduit Line

Not sure if this was mentioned yet but the conduit line/s you are refering to I believe is actually the plumbing for your water supply in the head. My 30+ uses this kind of plumbing for all the hot/cold runs.

On another note, I too had the propane locker. It was not plumbed. I had no intention of using it so I cut it out to increase much needed storage in the lazarette. I converted my old Galley Maid to a non-pressurized Origo. I use small propane tanks for my grill.

This simplified things for me and met all my requirements while adding space.

Hope that helps and good luck with your project.

bwb

E/30+ Berkeley, CA
Not sure if this was mentioned yet but the conduit line/s you are refering to I believe is actually the plumbing for your water supply in the head. My 30+ uses this kind of plumbing for all the hot/cold runs.

Hmm. I don't think we're thinking of the same conduits here. My boat, as I'm expecting does yours, has flexible grey tubing for hot and cold water, which runs under the cabin sole forward to the head. You can see it if you open one of the forward bilge covers and look to the port side of the bilge compartment.

The plastic conduit I was referring to for the propane appears to be an empty piece of rigid 1 1/2" PVC which is between the icebox and the hull, with one open end right behind the plywood panel that sits between the hull and the stove, and the million dollar question being: where is the other end? :)

Brian

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Brian,
While on my boat last week I tried to see where the lines go on my E30+ for the propane heater and stove, but they are hidden, so without taking things apart, I can't help you here. Sorry.
Frank.

bwb

E/30+ Berkeley, CA
Brian,
While on my boat last week I tried to see where the lines go on my E30+ for the propane heater and stove, but they are hidden, so without taking things apart, I can't help you here. Sorry.
Frank.

Thanks, Frank. I appreciate your taking a look for me. I was hoping that the hose might be visible from the point where it exited the tank locker to the point where it disappears into the pan, but alas. They probably ran the hoses before mating the hull and the pan at the factory. Guess it's time to drill some holes in the boat. :esad:

Brian

Graham Cole

The Zoomer
I converted my 30+ from alcohol to propane in '94. I put a 10lb bottle in the locker with the regulator, gague and solenoid. I exited the rubber propane line at the top of the locker with a large Blue Seas systems cable clam. I routed the propane line along the inner hull deck joint to the hole where the alcohol tube went under the back of the ice box. I hogged out the hole to allow the crimped end of the lpg line through. then through the s/s liner and the original grommet. The force 10 range fit on the original stove gimbal mnts. Voila! Graham

bwb

E/30+ Berkeley, CA
propane hose routing

Can you tell me some more about how you routed the hose from the engine compartment / lazarette into the cabin? My boat doesn't have any obvious holes there except the swinging door for the trash bin.

I consulted the pro I use for rigging work and he suggested investigating the area between the "shelf" just inside the port lazarette and the forward bulkhead. On my boat, this tiny space has been filled with white silicone caulk. The speculation was that the conduit that runs behind the icebox terminates somewhere in that mess. Guess I'll have to dig out all the caulk and find out!

Thanks!

Brian

bwb

E/30+ Berkeley, CA
Success!

I dug out some of the caulk (what a chore!) and found the other end of the conduit! My propane hose is now running from the stove location into the lazarette, and it should be a relatively simple matter now to route it as Graham described.

Graham, which Force 10 stove did you get? I'm guessing you have the 2 burner one, model #63251, since I think that's the only Force 10 that will fit in the 30+. Anyone have a Seaward propane stove? I seem to recall from looking at their specs that you might fit a 3 burner Seaward into the 30+.

Thank you to everyone who chimed in on this topic!

- Brian

Graham Cole

The Zoomer
obviously I meant good luck. Licking is totally at your own discretion. Use the 2 burner force 10. Great quality product. Don't think the 3 will fit. Don't forget the propane sniffer/solenoid control. Strength and honour....