Polishing SS

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Why buy new when all it needs is a little polishing. Here are the 2 pedestal guard bases from my boat. I have purchased a new guard and the fabricator said it would be highly polished so I thought I better purchase new bases too. This afternoon I got out my Dremel to see if they could be brought back. I also added a couple of weep hole for water to drain.

As you can see I only polished one of them and it was worse off then the other.

moz-screenshot.jpg

Attachments

• SSPolish1.jpg
    SSPolish1.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 73
  • SSPolish2.jpg
    SSPolish2.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 75

dcoyle

Member III
Looks good- what did you use on dremel tool for polishing bit, and did you use ane liquid? Launching May 20!

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I used the little beige buffing pads(about 1 inch in diameter). I started with Presta cutting creme(similar to 3M rubbing) followed by Presta chroma(similar to Finesse It). Both stages I had the motor set at about 1.5. There was a deep scratch in the edge of one of them that I progressively sanded starting with 120 all the way up to 1200 and then polishing.

You can also get buffing sticks in different grades that work well. I just did not have any but the most agressive on hand.

If you have lots of parts I would recommend a bench grinder with a cotton buffing wheel. The Dremel is still needed for tight spaces or to do it on the boat.

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Looks great Tim. I noticed my SS is in need of a little spit shine here and there. Perhaps I need to put together a "Dremel Party" and get some fellow sailors to polish my SS. I would probably have to suppy the beverages. Hmmm, could be a very expensive party.

Seriously, I am glad to hear that the Dremel worked so well. The PO of our boat had someone Cetol the teak stern cap (and the fittings!) at one time. (I refinished the teak last fall) but didn't have time to clean off all the old Cetol from the numerous fittings on the cap rail. Nor was I in the mood to completely remove all of the hardware. I will give the Dremel a try.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Sounds like you got off easy Kim. The PO of our boat decided that varnish is the best finish for EVERYTHING! We also had the varnished stern cap fittings along with the varnished companionway sliders, 2 inches up from the sole on everything inside including many of the liner in the quarterberth and head. This was one of the reasons I removed the teak trim ring on the binacle. Every thing within a foot had splashes on it. I think I finally have it all cleaned up. Although I am still finding duct tape residue in spots!

BTW, my new pedestal guard arrived today. $110 and it is the nicest guard I have ever seen.