Portable fuel polisher

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Scott, please fill out your profile so we know what boat you have. And consider adding the info to your Signature line, as others do.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thanks, there are many models and years of our boats and it helps responders know if their information applies.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
While on fuel tank problems, let me bring up another that will strand you. Immediately after purchasing Terra Nova, I went on a club cruise from Port Angeles to Bremerton. Her engine stopped in the middle of the Port Townsend Cut in 5 knots of tide making for an exciting flush under the bridge and through the channel. A slow sail to Port got me to a fuel dock and 1.2 gallons topped me off. Under the Bainbridge Island Bridge, she died again. A Club tow to the fuel dock got me 1.2 gallons again. Strange? A group effort came up with a totally plugged fuel filter. The temporary solution was to punch the screen out of the vent. A new vent and I have not had a fuel problem since. The vent is now on the yearly check list.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
While on fuel tank problems, let me bring up another that will strand you. Immediately after purchasing Terra Nova, I went on a club cruise from Port Angeles to Bremerton. Her engine stopped in the middle of the Port Townsend Cut in 5 knots of tide making for an exciting flush under the bridge and through the channel. A slow sail to Port got me to a fuel dock and 1.2 gallons topped me off. Under the Bainbridge Island Bridge, she died again. A Club tow to the fuel dock got me 1.2 gallons again. Strange? A group effort came up with a totally plugged fuel filter. The temporary solution was to punch the screen out of the vent. A new vent and I have not had a fuel problem since. The vent is now on the yearly check list.
Oops! Not fuel filter, fuel tank vent!