• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

propane locker for 36C

Brass Dragon

Member II
I must put in a propane locker on my 36C. The bottles are currently in the starboard cockpit coming locker which is not proper nor legal as is. My plan is to section off and seal the forward section of the coming locker and cut an access hatch down through the side deck, then vent overboard. This allows only a couple small bottles.

Anyone with a 36C and propane, where did you put the bottles? Are you happy with the location?

Dave Gane
s/v Brass Dragon #28
Seattle, WA

Mick

Member I
My dad had started replacing the cooler in the center cockpit console with a propane locker when my mother got sick and he stopped working on it. We rarely used that cooler and usually put everything in the galley cooler so the loss of the cooler wasn't a big deal for us. When we went for long trips we usually brought a large cooler with us that just sat in the cockpit on one side of the center console. I'm not sure I'm crazy about the location as he put a pretty large propane locker there and I'm not sure how he's going to manage to conceal it so it doesn't look like there's a big propane locker in the middle of the cockpit.

We're just starting to get back to work on her now after sitting for a long time. Most of the above deck stuff is having to wait till spring due to the weather and there being so much below decks to work on too. We're heading down there to do some work on Thursday so I can take some pictures of the work in progress if you want but, its really just work in progress so not much to see right now.

Last edited:

Brass Dragon

Member II
I would like to see in-process photos if and when you have a chance. My icebox currently just has the fuel line for the outboard, some winch handles, and a bunch of deck brushes stored in it. Not sure I would be allowed to put food in it now anyway.

Jon Libby

Member II
36c propane locker

Dave,

Our tanks are in the same locker. Our surveyor didn’t seem to mind it too much. It vents over board (not big enough for my mind) LB can't get to the cabin or bilge, it has straps that fasten it down, But you’re not suppose to use it for storage of anything else, (lots of wasted space.) Ours are 2-5lb tanks, and we never leave them turned on. They fit through the locker door fine.

We thought about the same thing. Sealing off a smaller area of the locker and maybe making a hatch on the top. But that is where all the traffic enters and leaves the boat. We could move the hatch forward a little, and put the opening just up on the flush deck, but that is a structural question I don’t want to entertain. If we move them back a bit in the locker that is where the Lewmar 44 sets. I’ve seen a few 36c’s with tanks hanging off the stern rail. With wind, dingy, solar, radar, and grill, I think that’s too much.

I’m starting to look at building a small step under the wheel that can hold a long horizontal tank.

http://www.downwindmarine.com/Propa...10-lb.-Aluminum-10-1-2-x-16-1-4-p-701480.html

No venting needed. We need a place for the feet and or a step anyway while behind the wheel. I know the weight is still there in the back of the boat, but we are going to all chain rode, and this should offset that part. Got to do a lot of measuring and I’ll do a mock up.

Like Mick’s boat, the cockpit locker is another simple answer, or build it bigger so as not to lose a lot of great storage in the cockpit. Did you see the 36C featured in the Lats and Atts magazine a few months ago? He built a HUGE cockpit locker with a freezer in it. It looks like it’s feet tall and 4 ft by 2 ft with a flat surface on top. He solos a lot.

I see no two lockers are alike on the 36c’s. Ours could fit two tanks with a little work, but I have a small sub-panel in there and some 120 volt too, so I’ve shot past that idea.

Still open for ideas

Mick

Member I
I'm not sure it'll be much of an in progress... the boat has been sitting for the past 5 years now since my mom passed away and I'm just getting my dad interested in working on it again (after finding it sitting with 4 inches of water in the cabin).

Its got a tarp over it right now but if I recall he had pulled the ice box out and put a locker in there and as of right now its just sitting there.. he's good with woodworking so he was going to build things up around it. I'll snap some pictures of where he was with it, although at this point I think we're going to be rebuilding a whole new cockpit console. This spring we're going to be removing the teak decking from the cockpit and redoing the gelcoat and non-skid in the cockpit.

We're going down to the boat tomorrow or Friday to work on ripping out the old dinette table and base for it (destroyed from the high water) and get some plans for building a new base and table.

Did you see the 36C featured in the Lats and Atts magazine a few months ago? He built a HUGE cockpit locker with a freezer in it. It looks like it’s feet tall and 4 ft by 2 ft with a flat surface on top. He solos a lot.

I see no two lockers are alike on the 36c’s. Ours could fit two tanks with a little work, but I have a small sub-panel in there and some 120 volt too, so I’ve shot past that idea.

Still open for ideas

I saw that article, loved that freezer he had there. I was also curious about the aft of his boat. Looks like he built the helm's seat all the way across from port to starboard. Wonder how much extra storage he has in there.

I've been checking out your blog since I've been getting into refurbishing the boat with my dad. Glad you mentioned where that sub panel is, I've been wondering where that was since I saw it in one of your photos. I THINK we have a AC outlet and sub panel in one of the side combings but its been quite a while since I've gotten to actually sail on her so my memory is a bit fuzzy.

We're having to redo quite a bit of the wiring due to the water in the boat. We're pretty much going to be redoing all the electrical system over the winter. We have the same inverter/charger that you have (sitting in the v-berth right now) and that's one of our projects tomorrow is getting started on mounting that under the nav table like you did. Have you had any problems with it being there since you put it in there?

Jon Libby

Member II
36c

Mick,

I think he also moved the wheel to the aft end of his huge freezer - table, and yes he did have a seat with more storage across what he built.

Good luck on your project,.. projects. The sub-panel is so I can turn on nav lights, autohelm, speader lights, cabin floor lights, and anything esle with out leaving the wheel.

The inverter/charger has been great. I tought I might cover it up with a front but that is real low on my to do list now.

Feel free to contact me of off line if you need any thing, it's such a great boat you'll do well with it.

Jon Libby

Member II
Propane locker find

Well I believe our plan has come together for making our propane locker legal, and more importanly, safe. The horizontail bottle under the wheel isn't going to work.

We have found a hatch that we want to cut into the top of the coming locker, where you step onto the boat.

We'll seal off an area of the locker by tabbing the devider in, around the winch, so as to re-inforce the area, and a bigger vent hole. Maybe seal off the area where the opening is now, and install another access to the area behind the winch. Lots of storage there but hard to get at it and it is always a mess to pull everything out to get at the last thing in there.

We'll be starting to do the work in a few weeks and we'll try to post pictures.

Make me an offer on my house and I'm out of here.

Attachments

• newhatch.jpg
    newhatch.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 197

Mick

Member I
Oh that's a good idea... can't wait to see what it looks like. How big of a bottle do you plan on fitting in there?? Going to do both sides or just one?

We just pulled the center console out of the cockpit on Thursday for my dad to rebuild at home. Also finally got a couple of new batteries for the boat so that we actually have power again. My dad is handling all the woodwork on the boat while I'm working on designing a new electrical system. Gotta figure out the best way to wire up that Freedom inverter/charger now. We're going to finish up with his original plan on having the propane in the cockpit console, I'll get some pictures of that once he has gotten to work on rebuilding that.

Jon Libby

Member II
propane tank

I'll be able to fit 2 5lb tanks, but might be able to fit 3 for the longer trips. What ever size fitts thru the hatch. I'll have to work a little in fitting the hatch, as the deck has a slight curve to it, not flat, that is my only custom work that will be hard.

Sid

BOATBUMMS
propane locker

I found an injection molded locker that hangs on the aft cockpit pulpit. Holds 2 5lb tanks and with a cover looks good. We have done a lot of work on "Paradise" and maybe you might be interested in some of it. I just put a freezer in the cockpit box, teak and holly cabin sole, galley counter tops, also put a deck box on the fore deck. You can google BOATBUMMS and it will show our blog, lots of stuff in it. I have owned the boat for 31 years, even watched her being built, I'm on my third wife, first sailboat.

Sid and Manuela
In and On Paradise

My wife is normally the communication officer, I just drink the rum and keep the boat up.

Jon Libby

Member II
locker

We looked at that option, but I want to keep as much weight off the tail end as possible. She sits low in the back anyway. I'm hoping the new windlass and chain will help.

TAPH2O

Member II
My daughters 36C has a horizontal tank in the starboard locker (coming?) it is hard to shut off can the valve be replaced?

gstepler

Member I
I had to pass on the boat due to condition, but a couple photos of the cockpit gas bottle locker that the survey said was installed/vented to ABYC standards.

Attachments

• IMG_1826.JPG
    IMG_1826.JPG
    340.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1831.JPG
    IMG_1831.JPG
    197 KB · Views: 13