• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Propane tanks to fit molded lockers in cockpit

Guinness38

We have made the jump from CNG to a new Force 10 propane stove. However, our stumbling block appears to be finding propane tanks that can fit the molded lockers in the stern locker of our Ericson 38. It appears we should be able to use a 10 lb. aluminum tank (though with supply-chain issues right now, there don't appear to be any available...does anyone have a source for tanks?) Has anyone else found a solution to fitting propane tanks into to the molded lockers?

driftless

Member III
Blogs Author
I believe the stern bench molding is different between the 38 and 38-200, so the propane locker dimensions may be different as well. But, if it's of any use, I found this 11 lb tank to fit well.
Also, being on freshwater, I wasn't concerned about a steel tank vs aluminum.
So not sure if that will help broaden your search, but it's at least an option.

Michael Edwards

Member II
I second Tyler’s choice, I went with a steel 11lbs. tank. Ordered via Amazon. I applied a couple coats of epoxy paint to the tank. That was several years ago. I have no regrets about the size nor that it being steel.
One gripe that I have is replacing the battery for the Force 10 igniters.

peaman

Sustaining Member
Worthington makes propane tanks in a wide range of sizes in both steel and aluminum. The link has relevant dimensions of those various sizes.

Guinness38

I believe the stern bench molding is different between the 38 and 38-200, so the propane locker dimensions may be different as well. But, if it's of any use, I found this 11 lb tank to fit well.
Also, being on freshwater, I wasn't concerned about a steel tank vs aluminum.
So not sure if that will help broaden your search, but it's at least an option.
Tyler, thanks for this link. Our boat is the older version. I think we have exactly 17" of height to work with, but I'm going to go back and double check the locker again to see if there is any room in the lid. Steel can be painted regularly! If we can find a height and width to work we will be in business. Thanks for this info. I'll let you know if it works out for us. Glad to be going to propane.
I second Tyler’s choice, I went with a steel 11lbs. tank. Ordered via Amazon. I applied a couple coats of epoxy paint to the tank. That was several years ago. I have no regrets about the size nor that it being steel.
One gripe that I have is replacing the battery for the Force 10 igniters.
Thanks for your advice, Michael. I like the idea of epoxy paint for less chipping. Good to know about the igniters. We'll make sure we keep some spares up to date for when that inevitably happens to us....gotta have coffee, no matter what!
Worthington makes propane tanks in a wide range of sizes in both steel and aluminum. The link has relevant dimensions of those various sizes.
Thanks - I do like the Worthington site. It has been an eye-opening experience to call a lot of these places to discover they are out of stock right now. We are not in a big hurry, so will make do until supply chain issues work themselves out and then find the tank that fits. We had some local people suggesting we rip and tear the lockers to fit bigger tanks and that just seemed like the tail wagging the dog. Good to hear others have been able to find alternate size tanks to fit their lockers.

peaman

Sustaining Member
On my 1987 32-3, a 10 pound aluminum tank fits nicely (or 11 pound steel). Since you are starting from scratch, you may be interested in some details I posted in THIS thread, including pictures and a list of all the other bits and pieces.

debonAir

Member III
10lb Worthington Aluminum fits just right on 35-3 (same locker I think). They are hard to find! I got one and waited all season to get a spare by checking stock here and there.

Of course I was used to CNG where one tank might last a season... I am *still* using the first fill of my first tank after *three* Summers, including a month of living aboard, and hours of using onboard heat.. So much more energy in the small tank of propane.

Navman

Member III
I believe my tank is 14.5 inches tall. 11lb? I will check this weekend. We cook ALL of our meals onboard. We are on the boat doing overnighters every other week. We also use the oven a lot. I have never had to recharge during the season. I do recharge once I put up the boat for the winter.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Do check. The absolute max height of propane locker on my E381 is 17", according to this thread:

Don, your bio says you have a 1986 E380? I am not familiar with that model as a 1986. Perhaps a 38-200, aft head?

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
After failing - twice - with what I thought were properly sized 11-pound tanks, I switched to these, which are five pounds. I carry two aboard and the size leaves plenty of room for other smaller items in the tank locker (grill cover, grill parts, adapter hose for the grill, one-pound tanks, tongs, etc.) They work great, and I've had no issues re-filling them at my marina, unlike with the Flame King tanks, which could not be refilled no matter what my marina tried. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08957FDC5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Navman

Member III
Do check. The absolute max height of propane locker on my E381 is 17", according to this thread:

Don, your bio says you have a 1986 E380? I am not familiar with that model as a 1986. Perhaps a 38-200, aft head?
Christian, it is a 380, head is forward, salon table has no cut out for the mast as the 382 does. Layout is the same as yours.

Navman

Member III
Your hull is 513 and mine is 536. Pretty close numbers, only 23 apart. I wonder how they assigned the hull numbers? Did they follow the numbers progressively in order, or did they skip some numbers,or was there some other set of parameters they used to assign the number?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Your hull is 513 and mine is 536. Pretty close numbers,
I have known a couple of other NW boat builders, over the decades. Hull numbering was mandated by the Fed's, and some particulars for model # were discretionary. AFAIK, the common practice was to assign the HIN when the hull was first molded out, i.e. first item in the mold was the "reverse Dymo label strip" for the stern and (by the 80's) on one piece of molding for the interior.
EY would use the common scheme of having each model separately hull-numbered. So your 1986 hull for your E-38 would be in numerical order with the other 38 hulls. What I do not know is whether or how they designated the different 38 variants being built at the same time. i.e. the "38-200", and the "381".

Note that this all was/is about hull numbering and other variations in final fit-out like keel options or rig height were not mentioned in that number. Remember that the HIN was permanently established before the initial layer of gel coat was sprayed.

Another site member and I have noted that our two same-model boats, being sequentially numbered, must have move thru the EY factory "nose to tail'.... ! :)

Last edited: