Propeller Anti-Fouling

What's everyone using on there Prop's? Last year I had one of my fellow sailors dive over the side to scrape my prop twice during the season. Thanks for any sugestions.

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
The best answer I can give is that I pay a diver to clean the bottom and prop and check the zinc every two to three weeks (money well spent @ $1 per foot) and even so the prop had some barnacles on it at the end of the season. That has not been the case since I started using the Pettit paint. However, I cannot tell you how it would work without periodic scrubbing. But what do you have to lose (other than $16)? Regular fouling paint won't last and the Pettit paint has the added advantage of protecting the prop from corrosion.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
I do my own bottom diving and prop cleaning so not a big deal there but if I could put something on the prop that would keep it clean I wouldn't dive nearly as often. Most of the time I dive it is just to clean the prop. I never had a problem with corosion either, but my props have always been bronze and had good zinc protection. Good point about the cost though, I'll have to try it next haul out.

u079721

Contributing Partner
Anybody try Scatt?

I've been using something called Scatt Barrier Coating on my prop. Near as I can tell it is a suspension of Teflon like particles in a solvent. You wipe it on, and it leaves a very slick surface that, susposedly, growth can't stick to. I can't speak for barnicles, but it does a good job with zebra mussels and slime.

jmoses

Member III
El Cheapo method

If you want a real cheap method for keeping your prop and bottom clean, find the stuff they use for pepper spray and mix it in with your bottom paint. It's concentrated capascian (sp?) and highly noxious if you get it in any membrane or orafice SO BE CAREFUL! Then, if you REALLY want to keep the critters at bay, mix in a couple cups of Round Up weed killer.

That toxic brew should keep critters from adhering to anything coated with it for quite a while. I tried regular cayenne several years ago and it seemed to work pretty well. I did not do it last year and simply used Trinidad SR and was totally disappointed....slime was growing in less than 6 months (in CA that is). Next year I'm going all the way with the 2,000% cayenne concentrate stuff! Forget about Trinidad SR, that';s for preventing mushrooms growing on the water line......I want the real deal........think of it, sharks will be rubbing their fish on the hull to get that authentic cajun spice before eating their meal!

John M.