• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Qest tubing (drinking water system)

driftless

Member III
Blogs Author
I used a Sharkbite fitting to replace a cracked L when I replaced my head sink faucet. Super easy, worked great. Threads matched the existing Qest fittings and compression seal was tight on the tubing.

sailinggreg

Member I
Fyi, I ended up replacing the Qest T-fitting with a SharkBite push on T-fitting. Doesn't leak a drop. I now have hot and cold running water. :)

Thanks for everyone's help, especially Dave G and Driftless!

There's, hopefully, just one last repair. The telescoping faucet in the galley is leaking again. The foot pump and connections are fine, its leaking from inside the telescoping part of the faucet itself. There's an o-ring at the base where the telescoping metal nozzle comes out of the plastic part. Probably due to wear, there's a small gap between the o-ring and the metal telescoping part, as you can see in the first pic below.

I doubt they sell replacement o-rings. From what I've seen, its probably a Whale Pumps brand telescoping faucet but can't say for sure. I was thinking before buying a new faucet I'd try wrapping the metal telescoping part with just a couple wraps of teflon tape and see if it stops the leak. Or put a small washer below the o-ring. But I can't get the o-ring out. Its been out before when the whole faucet came apart.

If anyone has experience repairing these telescoping faucets, please let me know.

Thanks!

Greg
DSC_0270.jpg
DSC_0265.jpg

peaman

Sustaining Member
I doubt they sell replacement o-rings.
Take the old o-ring to your (good) local hardware store and look for a match. Try slightly fatter if you think it will help. They are cheap and you will likely have dozens to choose from.

sailinggreg

Member I
Take the old o-ring to your (good) local hardware store and look for a match. Try slightly fatter if you think it will help. They are cheap and you will likely have dozens to choose from.
Good point! Any tip to get the old o-ring out? It's been out before, when the whole faucet came apart. I put it back together and the faucet didn't leak for a month or two but now it does and I can't get the darn o-ring out again. I've tried prying it with a small jeweler's screw driver. There's no slot or spot to just pop it out.

Thanks!

peaman

Sustaining Member
Good point! Any tip to get the old o-ring out? It's been out before, when the whole faucet came apart. I put it back together and the faucet didn't leak for a month or two but now it does and I can't get the darn o-ring out again. I've tried prying it with a small jeweler's screw driver. There's no slot or spot to just pop it out.

Thanks!
Not sure what exactly you have, but maybe a piece of stainless seizing wire, fashioned with a small hook, or bend at the end, might help to fish out the o-ring?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Make sure the plastic part isn't cracked. Can be hard to see, but common from overtightening. If so buy a new "telescopic faucet" (good for me to learn the term at last).

Some fittings behind a sink can defy access, especially if installed before the sink was. I have resorted to cutting the feed line and lengthening it in order to not remove sink.

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Mine was leaking and I just replaced the whole thing as mine was obviously original and the cost was quite reasonable.