• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Question: How Many Ericson 30+s are still sailing today?

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Question: How Many Ericson 30+s are still sailing today?

This question was brought to mind recently when I heard of another E-30+ going to salvage. In my years following EYo_Org I have not seen or heard from more than a handful of E-30+ owners.

Mark "Souleman" Soule

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Somewhere on this site was a chart with the years each model was built, and the hull numbers, so one could see how many were built in that era. I can't remember how many E30+ there were, but it wasn't a very large number. If someone could find that chart, it would give a partial answer, depending on how many have met their demise since then.
They are still a wonderful boat, both in looks and in performance. :)
Frank

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Maybe Seth would know total production run quantity ? They built the 30+ from 79 to 87 or 88 I think. I would guess there were at least a few hundred built, would be nice to know. I recall someone on this site stating he had hull #721, which would mean there is at the very least 221 boats produced as first hull was #501.

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Frank,, I remember the list, but my interest is how many are still sailing. After hearing of another 30+ going to salvage I was pretty down beat. The natural progression of aging and cost of maintaining take a toll. My 1983 Discovery is still sailing but the E-30+Club is shrinking.

I will post the salvage company and location when I learn it. This was a well maintained vessel owned by Captain Ed Knebel. He sends his best wishes to the EYO community.

Mark "Souleman" Soule

Frank Langer

Hi Mark,
Do you know why Captain Ed's boat is going to salvage rather than being repaired? I'm not aware of a sinking or serious grounding, but may have missed something.
Frank

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Attached is the sheet we created for the Certificate of Origin documentation this summer. Sorry, I just re-read the original question. We're actually missing data on the E30+ production numbers... If anyone has a viable range of HINs in this class, it would be useful and I will add it to the sheet.

//sse

Attachments

• 210506 Ericson HINs.pdf
    77.9 KB · Views: 17

Frank Langer

Sean, I know there had been a report of an E30+ with hull #721, which some people had thought might be the last one built, but I can't verify that.
Frank

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
I found another post from a active member who has hull # 724, signature is; Valkyrie, E30+ Hull #30724 (1987).

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Topic 1 # E-30 HINs - My discovery (1983 is Number 599)
Topic #2 - Paid a visit with Captain Ed this morning to salvage cushions and 125% jib. Turns out his mast snapped in two and pocked a hole in the top sides. The insurance company offered him money and totaled the boat. A salvage company hired by the insurance company is claiming the boat this week (possibly Tuesday) for auction. Ed and his wife had decked out the boat in advance for heading for Florida and the Islands, there is some very nice electric winces and other expensive equipment still on her. Such a shame to lose this beautiful boat.

Mark "Souleman" Soule

Frank Langer

Topic 1 # E-30 HINs - My discovery (1983 is Number 599)
Topic #2 - Paid a visit with Captain Ed this morning to salvage cushions and 125% jib. Turns out his mast snapped in two and pocked a hole in the top sides. The insurance company offered him money and totaled the boat. A salvage company hired by the insurance company is claiming the boat this week (possibly Tuesday) for auction. Ed and his wife had decked out the boat in advance for heading for Florida and the Islands, there is some very nice electric winces and other expensive equipment still on her. Such a shame to lose this beautiful boat.

Mark "Souleman" Soule
Oh no, a broken mast and a holed topsides sounds scary! So sad!
Frank

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Sean, I know there had been a report of an E30+ with hull #721, which some people had thought might be the last one built, but I can't verify that.
Frank
Well, I believe PSC started at 500-something - so that would put us over 200 hulls right there... The PSC data is the only stuff I could not get my hands on, which is a real shame...

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Sean,

When you guest speak Friday November 12th at the virtual Chesapeake Bay Ericson Club, maybe you might expand on the Ericson Armada.

Mark "Souleman" Soule

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Hi Mark,
Do you know why Captain Ed's boat is going to salvage rather than being repaired? I'm not aware of a sinking or serious grounding, but may have missed something.
Frank
Frank,

Sorry for the late responses, I just did 9 hour runs back and forth to visit Ed.

I am not sure why Ed didn't post anything on EYO.

I do know the insurance gave him a very low pay out (my own opinion) for a boat with electric winches, new electronics and a whole bunch of goodies that have got to cost him a lot of money.

From what Ed did tell me is the insurance company has a salvage company collecting the boat. Ed did mention that it will go up for auction followed by parts salvage and end up being dismembered.

Mark

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
If anyone has a viable range of HINs in this class, it would be useful and I will add it to the sheet.
Sean, We currently have hard evidence that production of the 30+ went into at least 1987 model year with current highest hull number being 724. I believe the first year of production was 1979 with hull #501 so that should be a start at least.