Rate my electrical panel

DaveE26

Member I
It was a long winter I made all the parts bus bars panel fronts and the plastic over the AC also the furniture that every thing mounted into. It was a fun project I already had the tools so it only cost me for the raw materials and a little bit of powder coating. I almost didn't get it powder coated but when you figure out what the paint costs to paint aluminum correctly and that I'd probably have to do it twice it was cheep.
Lol the panel belongs on a much bigger boat.

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
I also tackled the mess, made the panel from scratch.
So, did you relocate your AC panel? Mine is located under the galley sink, which I presumed was the default location having seen it there on other E-26s.

Not to hijack the thread, but did you also add cabinets along the sides above the settees? If so, would love to see that if you felt inclined to show it off on your blog or elsewhere.

DaveE26

Member I
The AC is next to the DC its on the the right or aft, my solar charge controller is between the DC and AC.

Attachments

• elect. panel finished.jpeg
    elect. panel finished.jpeg
    232.6 KB · Views: 30
  • elect. panel inside.jpeg
    elect. panel inside.jpeg
    338.3 KB · Views: 30

nquigley

Sustaining Member
I saw this distribution panel layout in a 1988 32-3 on Yachtworld yesterday.
If anyone on the forum has this design, I wonder if you find it convenient - to use, and to work on.
There's more volume behind the upper part of that cabinetry for wiring (especially as this panel doesn't have the battery switch in it), and it would lend itself to a nice piano hinge opening.

32-3 1988 distribution panel.png

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
That's the same panel on my boat and on other Ericson's of that vintage. It has enough breakers for our use, and the only upgrade I have made was to install a plastic cover over the AC part of the back. We have one "spare" breaker left over at this point on both the DC and AC sides.

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
The AC is next to the DC its on the the right or aft, my solar charge controller is between the DC and AC.
Sorry if my question wasn't clear. Was it always next to the DC, or did you relocate it there?

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I tackled this project recently and am really happy with how it turned out. I fully admit I went overboard and it really doesn't offer that much greater functionality, but it's much easier to troubleshoot, I have more than enough room for expansion, and it's exponentially easier to understand what's going on. I used din rail terminal blocs with disconnect functionality, blue sea system negative buss bars, and labeled everything with heatshrink labels. To hide and organize the wiring, I used slotted cable tray with covers.

The before didn't look bad especially from the outside with the new bluesea systems panel, but half the return wires and 5-6 of the positive didn't actually go to anything anymore. There were left in various places throughout the boat.
I'll be disappointed if you tell me you can't land a Space-X rocket right-side-up from this panel.

Very impressive work.

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
It was always near the DC. It was an add on panel not factory.
Ah-ha! Got it - thanks for clarifying that.

What you've done there is inspiring. I've been wondering how a larger tilt-out panel might look in our little E26s because mine is hard to get to and filled with abandoned mud dauber nests, so I want to do something different.