• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Re-Galvanizing Anchors

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Today I reinstalled the anchor and chain and 250 feet of new line. This project, if it could be called that, started this summer when we were anchoring out and noticed that our decade-old fancy schmancy braid-on-braid gold nylon rode was looking, well, peculiar. The core was poking through the cover in a number of places, and would not go back in even under a lot of strain.
A friend of mine in the chanderly business advised that it might be best to replace it. It was only about 150' long and we sometimes had all the rode out in 20 feet of water on a breezy afternoon.

So West Marine had their annual tent sale here a couple weeks ago and I sourced a new 250' X 1/2" three strand rode for under $65. Huge savings over the normal price. I braided in new markers for 30/60/90/etc feet.

When I took the decade-old chain and Danforth out I found that washing out the mud was not going too well -- the rust flakes from the anchor were partly clogging the drain hose! :p
Time to renew or replace.

The boat came with two Danforths, either of which will fit the molded-in places in the foreward deck well. The everyday anchor is a 13S, and the other is a heavier (about 16# on my digi scales) Danforth S1300. Both were crudded up with a calcium-looking layer and rust coming out from under what was left of the galvanizing. I had sprayed 'em both with "cold galvanize" paint about 5 years ago, and it was flaking off now, too.

Price to replace both of them new was going to run around $150. and up. My 30 feet of chain was starting to bleed some rust. I found a local galvanizing company with the lowest minimum charge ($100.) and then they subbed out the sand blasting of both anchors for another $55.

The chain added no extra charge, since it only needed the acid bath and re-galvanizing. Total charge for both anchors and the chain was $155.
Perhaps someone will provide 20-20 hind sight and show that there was a better way to get back to new looking gear...
:confused:

Meanwhile, it sure is nice to have an upgraded anchor setup without that corrosion. :)

The well holds this much gear, but would not hold very much more line and chain. It is not a "full depth" well like the E-32/200, for instance.

We commonly moor in sand and/or mud so the fluke anchor gets us by fine. I realize that any trips to rocky or kelpy areas will require re-thinking this setup... maybe have to change to a Delta and also some more chain.

And that's the news from the Bright and Shining Anchor Dept.

Loren in PDX
Olson 34 #8

Attachments

• smallAnchor on deck.jpg
    smallAnchor on deck.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 236
  • anchorSetup small.jpg
    anchorSetup small.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Loren, it almost looks too good to lower into the mud again!! Might be better put to use on your coffee table at home! :devil:
Seriously, it looks great, and should last lots of years yet.
Frank.

Graham Cole

The Zoomer
There is a brand of anchor (delta?) that has a cavity under the flukes that is filled with lead shot. If you have such an anchor, instruct your galvanizing guys to remove the shot and open the cavity to prevent damage to the anchor while in the hot tank. I know this from when we re dipped the main anchor on our Hatteras and cracked the weld. I think this would only apply to anchors far too big for an e-boat, though!

jkm

Member III
That's the nicest looking anchor, chain, line and locker I've ever seen.

I'd get another anchor to use and save that one for show and tell.

John