release lever

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Does anyone know where to look for a backstay turnbuckle release lever thingy? It enables you to disconnect the backstay (and aft shrouds) so you can lower a tabernacled mast. I'm looking for the bent rod type that use a ring as a keeper.

Here's a couple of photos of what I'm talking about. Sorry for the bad quality, they are cropped from larger photos.

Thanks

Attachments

• backstay disconnect.jpg
    backstay disconnect.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 59
  • backstay disconnect2.jpg
    backstay disconnect2.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 70

Glyn Judson

Release Lever Thingie.

Mark, Loren's right on the money. I bought one of them years ago for the head stay on our 16 foot Neptune and it worked like a charm. For peace of mind and to be just darned save, take advantage of the match drilled holes in the levers to slip a Fastpin through the entire assembly when tensioned. When I bought mine that was not included so I bought the pin as well as a length of stainless wire and made the pin captive to it. The design is such that it probably would never open on its own but it just after saying something like along those lines that the cuff of a jacket or something even sillier will snag such a laver and do something just as soon not done. Good luck, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Thanks for the suggestions. The lever that I'm looking for accomplishes separating and reattaching the backstay in two very quick and easy motions.

Making an existing turnbuckle a quick release for tabernacling (or whatever) looks to be the simple addition of this bent/welded rod and a keeper ring.

Here is a better photo. I took it yesterday after a nearly windless sail on the Monterey Bay in bright sunshine and warm temps. I guess two out of three isn't bad!

Attachments

• release lever.jpg
    release lever.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 35

Glyn Judson

Quick release lever.

Mark, You can add a second Fastpin to the entire assembly such that when you release the first one and slack the rig, you can simply pull the other one and free the stay completely, etc. That's how I rigged the one I had on the Neptune 16 so I could step and unstep the mast quickly at the launch ramp. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA