• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Rendezvous Summer 2023

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thanks again for all of the "organizing" efforts ! We look forward to cruising your area again.

A sailing friend sent me the link to this fellow, and his cruising videos in the Gulf Islands. In 2014, we spent nights in several of the bays/villages that he visited.. Lovely places, and the Ericson Rendezvous was the highlight of our cruise.

Virginia

Member II
PNW RENDEZVOUS 2023 UPDATE!
Hello PNW Ericson Clan - Happy New Year and Fair Winds as we quietly slip the moorings on 2022 and navigate into 2023!

Time has marched on since our mid-November posting for a 2023 rendezvous. We just learned that the Bellingham Wheel and Keel group will be using Deer Harbor on July 21-23 for their rendezvous.

NEW DATE PROPOSALS:
July 7-9
July 14-16

June can land us in “Juneuary”, and August leads us into the now standard drought heat and wildfire smoke, which can be dense. Please read on, your time and interest is important to secure a time and location in our ever-popular waters. Once we have settled a date for Deer Harbor, we can start our bookings.

In mid November 2022, we sent information about organizing the PNW 2023 rendezvous, focusing on a more natural environment over a town or metropolitan feel. We stated if someone was interested in checking out Port Townsend or other ‘town’ style harbors - we would leave that to those interested parties. Deer Harbor on Orcas Island is a sweet place, with very nice amenities, similar to Genoa Bay or Maple Bay in Canada, and is somewhat central for South Sounders and Canada.

Several things and information is needed to proceed ahead:

1. Critical Mass: To make any event work, a critical mass of interested folks is needed. We started this mid-November to give plenty of time for folks who want to attend to plan their vacation time and/or for a sailing getaway. To date, three folks, and one pending a boat in the water have replied with positive interest.

2. We need more feedback to continue. For those who have not responded, are there issues with:
-Location?
-Preference for a Town Style vs. Island Style?
-Timing/Week?
-Just Not Interested in sailing time to a rendezvous?

Your input would be most helpful to make the rendezvous happen.

Many thanks to Shannon and Doran for their leadership and work of the 2022 rendezvous. It was wonderful and meaningful. Let’s continue the camaraderie and tradition!

-
Marlin & Virginia Prowell
Bellingham WA
Ericson 34 “Swallow”

southofvictor

Member III
Blogs Author
Thanks for this update Marlin and Virginia. We’d prefer the 14-16 but should be able
to make either work. Deer Harbor still sounds like an excellent choice. Looking forward to it! Last year at Genoa Bay was great fun.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
NEW DATE PROPOSALS:
July 7-9
July 14-16
We would like to revisit Deer Harbor, and could make either date work. The 14-16 dates might work better, tho.
Let me know which weekend and I will call the marina.

Please put us down for a 'yes'.
Loren/Kathy

Last edited:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
We would like to revisit Deer Harbor, and could make either date work. The 14-16 dates might work better, tho.
Let me know which weekend and I will call the marina.

Please put us down for a 'yes'.
Loren/Kathy
We are intending to come, and like Deer Harbor as well. We prefer the July 7 - 9 time, but we also may have out of town visitors in July, so can't make a firm commitment yet.
Frank

Jamiem

Member II
We have talked with friends and plan on bringing at least one couple along with me and my wife. All dates and times work with us but the earlier we know the better

Jamiem

Member II
We have talked with friends and plan on bringing at least one couple along with me and my wife. All dates and times work with us but the earlier we know the better
As for Town or Nature, not a strong preference but I guess that a slip is more predictable in case of bad weather??

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
As for Town or Nature, not a strong preference but I guess that a slip is more predictable in case of bad weather??
Being in a slip at a marina is good to allow socializing from boat to boat, which is the highlight of these gatherings for many of us. The weather is usually sunny and warm in the Gulf Islands that time of year. A location with a vendor selling ice cream is a bonus!
:)

Rosco

Exploring the BC Coast E35-2, Yanmar 3GM30
I am new to the site and Ericsons and taking possession our our '76 32-2 "SKELLIG" on February 10. Bridget and I are in Vancouver BC and looking forward to Rendezvous 2023. I will keep in the loop and look forward to attending. The seller is delivering her from Portland in February so I can certainly make the San Juans or elsewhere.

Rosco

Exploring the BC Coast E35-2, Yanmar 3GM30
Deer Harbour is awesome and is very close to us here in the north of the 49th. In fact close proximity (10nm) to another great Rendezvous spot at South Pender - Poets Cove. We have our Rendezvous (M&P Yacht Centre) there every Labour (Labor) Day Weekend and it works very well for dock walking, pubbing, dining and beach activities. Customs Dock is there. Wonderful Pub, outdoor pool and jacuzzi. Fuel dock and solid anchorage 100 yards from the dock.

Attachments

• poets.jpg
    poets.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 7

Jamiem

Member II
Have any of you from the Canadian side brought your dog with you before? I assume we need vet info and am going to google it now but just wondering how much of a hassle it is when you are crossing border?

MartaCrichlow

Walt and Marty Crichlow
Good time to start planning on the next Gathering of the Vikings.
Probably would be in US waters, but this really depends on who wants to assume command.
Thanks!

Loren
(down in Portland, where no one seems to want to travel that far for a rendezvous!)
:)
Loren., how many boats on or near Columbia River. We still have Brigadoon and are members of Longview Yacht Club. A possible place for the rendezvous. Facility with some tie ups, a kitchen, fuel and water. Then those who wish could do an upriver trip i/we are not aware of locks. Something to think about.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The gathering for this years looks to be scheduled for Deer Harbor in July. Next year is open and if no one wants to do this in BC, we could lobby for the Columbia River.
I should note that, in the last couple decades, no one (as in zero) from "up North" has shown interest in coming down here. The total distance, Straits plus the Washington coast, and the requisite time needed probably is against a visit.

However, you could put out the word for a Columbia river Viking Gathering for sometime in September. There are a number of Ercson's and Olson's at RCYC and PYC, in Portland. There are some Ericson's in Astoria, too.
Let's talk more about that , but in a separate -new- thread.
I would love an excuse to visit your club again, also! :)

Commodore_64

E-35 | Bellingham, WA
We would love to join in this year! We've got a '71 E35-2 in Blaine (possibly Bellingham come summer ). We're hosting a cruise with the Bellingham Corinthian Yacht Club to Sucia Island the weekend of July 14 - 17, (which everyone is invited to join in on by the way!), so we'd prefer the weekend of July 7 - 9 if possible.

Marlin Prowell

E34 - Bellingham, WA
@Commodore_64 Two weeks ago we tallied responses for the rendezvous and there is a slight preference for the July 14-17 weekend. We proceeded with that information and made arrangements with Deer Harbor Marina for the weekend of July 14-17. We are currently drafting up the official announcement along with registration specifics. We should have that posted in a new thread in the next several days.

We regret that this conflicts with the Corinthian event. We checked the Bellingham Corinthian web site just now and don’t see this cruising event listed. We did check the Bellingham Wheel and Keel web site and picked dates that did not conflict with its July Deer Harbor meetup.