Replacement for a YSM8 engine on a 27’?

Deb

I’d like to replace my YSM8 engine. It’s old and worn out. I’ve been sailing on a river system but want to head out into the Bay of Fundy. I would not feel comfortable with it in high tidal waters. Not enough power or reliability.
Any thoughts re engine replacement options? Thanks, Deb

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A friend of mine replaced his deceased A4 (gas) engine in his E-27. He used a one cylinder Yanmar and said it fit in with ease. After some trips up the Washington coast to Vancouver Island BC, against summer winds and seas, he did say that while adequate 90% of the time he wished he had installed a twin.
Best to carefully measure the present engine compartment, bed logs, and position of the shaft. Then d/l the diagrams for a twin cylinder Betamarine or Yanmar and do some careful checking.
(If parts were not becoming quite scarce, I would almost advise finding a rebuilt YSM-12. Easy fit, I would guess/speculate.)

Milagros

Member II
I have a Beta 20 in my 27. Plenty of power, seems to be just about bulletproof as long as maintenance is kept up with.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
A friend of mine replaced his deceased A4 (gas) engine in his E-27. He used a one cylinder Yanmar and said it fit in with ease. After some trips up the Washington coast to Vancouver Island BC, against summer winds and seas, he did say that while adequate 90% of the time he wished he had installed a twin.
Best to carefully measure the present engine compartment, bed logs, and position of the shaft. Then d/l the diagrams for a twin cylinder Betamarine or Yanmar and do some careful checking.
(If parts were not becoming quite scarce, I would almost advise finding a rebuilt YSM-12. Easy fit, I would guess/speculate.)
Jeff Asbury, who used to own an E27 and was an active member of this forum, had a 1GM10 in his boat, if I'm not mistaken. I'm sure there are pictures of it archived here if you look. As I recall, it was a nice installation and I believe there was lots of space for it.

If I were repowering, though, I'd suggest getting something with a bit more power than a single-cylinder Yanmar. For that displacement something around 15-20 hp would work well. I have a 1GM (around 7 hp) in my E26-2, which at about 5300# displaces a bit less than yours, and I'd definitely appreciate having more power. Loren is correct in that what you'd get from these smaller engines would be adequate for your boat most of the time, but if you are going to go to all the trouble to repower, why not install something that will give you a bit of reserve for when the conditions get lumpy?

Deb

Thank-you Loren.

Deb

Jeff Asbury, who used to own an E27 and was an active member of this forum, had a 1GM10 in his boat, if I'm not mistaken. I'm sure there are pictures of it archived here if you look. As I recall, it was a nice installation and I believe there was lots of space for it.

If I were repowering, though, I'd suggest getting something with a bit more power than a single-cylinder Yanmar. For that displacement something around 15-20 hp would work well. I have a 1GM (around 7 hp) in my E26-2, which at about 5300# displaces a bit less than yours, and I'd definitely appreciate having more power. Loren is correct in that what you'd get from these smaller engines would be adequate for your boat most of the time, but if you are going to go to all the trouble to repower, why not install something that will give you a bit of reserve for when the conditions get lumpy?
Thank-you. Also considering a bigger boat but I really like my 27’ and have done a lot of work/upgrades to it.

SpudE36RH

Member I
I’d like to replace my YSM8 engine. It’s old and worn out. I’ve been sailing on a river system but want to head out into the Bay of Fundy. I would not feel comfortable with it in high tidal waters. Not enough power or reliability.
Any thoughts re engine replacement options? Thanks, Deb
I put a YSM12 into a Mirage 27 wasn't perfect fit but a little cosmetics,funds and voila.Three blade fixed and the torque was incredible especially in reverse.At least you have the shaft already thru. Recommended shaft diameter is 1".Good luck.

JPS27

Member III
some years ago I replaced a shot A-4 with a Yanmar 2qm15. Not suggesting you seek out a 40 year old engine ;). But I've been very pleased with its performance, power etc. Since the engine is 40 years old I have researched alternatives once/if this one ever goes. A betamarine guy someone on this site put me in touch with told me the beta 14 would do the job. I was told same thing by the beta folks at the annapolis boat show. I assumed that the 20 would be overkill, but apparently not as mentioned above.

Reactions: Deb

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I kind of depends on how much room you have in your engine compartment. Check on room between the coupler and stuffing box. Also space above the top-most part of the (new) engine.
The good news is that a modern engine, like the Betamarine, is physically a little smaller than the equivalent power plant of 40 years ago. That difference was significant when we changed out the original Universal 23 hp for a new Beta 25 hp. Weighed less, also!

But then, we were never lacking HP; we just wanted to start over for not tooooo much more $ than it would have cost to overhaul and replace major parts of the total OEM drivetrain.

Perhaps unneeded advice but worth mentioning... with a new engine, you replace all the other worn out and dying parts. NEW: engine, trans, mounts, wiring harness, panel. And we upgraded the alternator size as well. Another nice 'new thing' to have: a warranty.

Full disclosure: the local Betamarine dealer is a friend of mine, and so is the ship wright that did the very skilled mods on our bed log moldings and did the actual install. I have several blog entries here with some commentary, BTW.

Last edited:

Deb

I would not feel comfortable with it in high tidal waters.

Bay of Fundy? Peanuts!

Hahaha! Exactly what you’re showing in Nova Scotia. If I run out of time trying to go the opposite direction of an incoming tide with no wind, I end up going backwards. Annoying to embarrassing. Lol
Even on a 36’ with a big engine going from Grand Manan to Yarmouth NS, forward progress becomes severely impeded. Much as I like lighthouses, staring at the same one for 45 mins as you ‘slowly’ go by isn’t optimal.

Deb

some years ago I replaced a shot A-4 with a Yanmar 2qm15. Not suggesting you seek out a 40 year old engine ;). But I've been very pleased with its performance, power etc. Since the engine is 40 years old I have researched alternatives once/if this one ever goes. A betamarine guy someone on this site put me in touch with told me the beta 14 would do the job. I was told same thing by the beta folks at the annapolis boat show. I assumed that the 20 would be overkill, but apparently not as mentioned above.
Good suggestion. Thank-you. Hoping to talk to some engine providers at the Halifax boat show beginning of Feb if Covid doesn’t cancel it.

Deb

I kind of depends on how much room you have in your engine compartment. Check on room between the coupler and stuffing box. Also space above the top-most part of the (new) engine.
The good news is that a modern engine, like the Betamarine, is physically a little smaller than the equivalent power plant of 40 years ago. That difference was significant when we changed out the original Universal 23 hp for a new Beta 25 hp. Weighed less, also!

But then, we were never lacking HP; we just wanted to start over for not tooooo much more $ than it would have cost to overhaul and replace major parts of the total OEM drivetrain.

Perhaps unneeded advice but worth mentioning... with a new engine, you replace all the other worn out and dying parts. NEW: engine, trans, mounts, wiring harness, panel. And we upgraded the alternator size as well. Another nice 'new thing' to have: a warranty.

Full disclosure: the local Betamarine dealer is a friend of mine, and so is the ship wright that did the very skilled mods on our bed log moldings and did the actual install. I have several blog entries here with some commentary, BTW.
Great points. It would be optimal peace of mind to have it ‘all’ changed and have some clear maintenance requirements re the new system vs the unknowns of what happened to the engine/trans etc while other owners had the boat.
As folks often mention, some parts have become hard to impossible to get, and lengthy shipping times. I’ll definitely check out the blogs.
I look at engines as a necessary evil ( poor attitude I know) but generally when you need it, you really need it.
I appreciate the help.

Deb

I put a YSM12 into a Mirage 27 wasn't perfect fit but a little cosmetics,funds and voila.Three blade fixed and the torque was incredible especially in reverse.At least you have the shaft already thru. Recommended shaft diameter is 1".Good luck.
I used to sail on a Mirage 27 many years ago. Great boat. Entertaining in high winds.