Repowering Costs? Shell Shocked!!!

wurzner

Member III
I just received a quote to have a new engine installed and perhaps it is not too unreasonable. The cost is upwards of 23K with about 2k in taxes and $11,500 in labour (125 hours). At first, I was floored but then after thinking about it, it may not be too far off. This includes pulling the old engine, changing the stringers to accept a 4 point mount instead of the current 3, and installing the new engine. They stated that all new wiring for the panel needed to be run (not sure why) and 125 hours of labour seems like a whole lot.

Anyone have any comments or reference points. This is a very reputable shop that is highly regarded. I'm curious to see what the insurance company is going to do. If you have had any similiar experiances, please let me know.

The boat in question is an Ericson 38-200 with the engine under the galley.

regards
shaun

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
What are the circumstances of the repower? Why is the insurance company paying for it? Seems like an awful lot of money but like you said it is a good bit of work. I know if my Universal 5432 ever quits I will be replacing the long block or rebuilding it myself. I sure can't afford even half that replacement cost. RT

CaptnNero

Accelerant
second opinion

I've heard of repowering being done for more like $15K in the Annapolis area, including about half of it for labor. Seems like one of those things to shop around.

Last edited:

Emerald

Hmmm, this seems way too high, but remember, my opinion is worth what you paid - nothing. My thoughts are that 125 hours works out to 15.6 days at a solid 8 hours a day. Even if they put two guys on it, somehow 2-3 work weeks seems a bit steep for an experienced yard. I repowered my E-27 in 2 weekends working solo - that's 4 days for one person, and I had never put an engine in a boat before (done a ton of automotive work and many engine's in and out, so I am experienced in basic R&R of a motor). Part of my repower was a custom waterlift exhaust system I designed from scratch, as well as a custom fresh water cooling system I built from scratch, and having to do some motor mount fabrication/adjustment. So, I had a bit of planning and layout and hole cutting etc., and I also had to do all panel wiring etc., and speaking of panel wiring, this is a no brainer. You pull the wires as a bundle and then do the hookups - it's not rocket science here and should only be a couple hours work at the outside.

So, at the prices they are talking about, I'll take vacation and come install it for you....:devil:

-David
Independence 31
Emerald

Shadowfax

Member III
The engine you want to install seems to be very different from the one being replaced, i.e. 4 motor mounts instead of the old 3. Is it possible this work includes a new transmission and shaft and all that goes with that.
A complete rewiring of what? It's a diesel! I'd ask for a blow by blow of what they are going to do and get at least one other price

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Much too high

Me and one other guy pulled the engine, replaced the transmission and replaced the engine including aligning the shaft in less than 10 hours. And that was while in the water! The only difference is that we did not remove the engine from the boat itself. So add 4 hours to hoist the engine out of the boat and drop the new one in.

Why not use the same model engine? New wiring to the panel? Fluff! There is no reason for the wiring to change unless yours is worn or otherwise unusable. Don't forget that they are charging you to dispose of the old engine. Dispose means they sell every usable part back to you or somebody else in the future.

Run away fast. You can do much better with a different shop.

wurzner

Member III
Received a second quote and the numbers are more favorable. Both shops are highly regarded in our area and as such, will leave them nameless. Part of is does contend with having to do shaft adjustments, they will need to modify the mounts since the rear mounts on the M40 come forward about 10 inches to provide adequate acess (hence the need to fab custom mounts). The alarm systems are different and the time spent converting the old harness to the new harness would be offset...it is easier to use the new harness. Also, keep in mind, there are warranties and for them to be honoured, you need to do certain things. The sink will need to be removed as will the cabinet work (my 38-200 has the engine under the sink, great for access, but a %#$* for removing). Also, they will need to pull part of the floor to route new wires because of the TFG. None the less, 125 hours was too much. The 2nd quote came in at 80 hours even after I told them about some of the concerns shop 1 had. Shop 2's rate is 65 an hour opposed to 89 so labour is 5400 opposed to 11,100. Shop 2's quote came in at just shy of 15K opposed to $23,500. This is based on the same engine and is worth it. I don't know what the insurance will run, but when all is said and done, I'll be really happy with a new power plant.

I'll give you updates as I go along.

regards
shaun
S/V Sorcerer
Ericson 38-200
Everett, WA

SeaDog

Member II
My repower (Yanmar 3YM20 replacing Yanmar 2QM20) came in at just over $11K, $7.7K for the engine and $3.5K for the install... including reworking the rails, total replacement of the exhaust (including a new waterlift muffler), adding a shaft extension, repacking the stuffing box, etc. The above includes tax. Add $340 for a new prop (14X12) fixed, $100 to pull the old prop and install the new one, $130 for a new seawater strainer, etc. Thats a lot of bucks for a 1978 E32 but I was tired of all of the breakdowns, beginning with a blown oil line in November, a fuel pump in December and a head gasket in May. The 2QM20 was shoehorned in so tight that the engine needed to be pulled to take off the head. The 3YM20 has better access and more power.

Kirby
Uff Da, E32, Alamitos Bay, California