Rudder and wheel alignment

dochecht

Sailor Leon
Last year, after anchoring in a cut where the tide ran against the wind, the rudder was pinned to one side (middle of the night) and the next morning the wheel and rudder were no longer centered….After examining the quadrant linkages, I don’t see where there was anyway they could have moved. So the movement must have occurred in the pedestal, right? Does this need to be taken apart? Any advice on what to look for? Any videos you’d recommend?
Thanks,
Leon
s/v Ericson 333 Regatta

supersailor

Contributing Partner
The chain probably slipped a link particularly if there is slack in it. Just break the link, move it a notch and re connect. If there is slack, take it out with the turnbuckles at the came time.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Wow! 1997 is (?) the last year that PSC built Ericson's. I thought that the steering assembly would be from Edson. I am not familiar with your brand. Could you post up some photos?
How much has the wheel 'center' position changed? If it's less than an inch it's possible, perhaps, that the cables stretched. Or, that at least one cable end started to pull some new slack thru the bulldog clamps where the ends are attached to the quadrant.
A few months ago I had our original '88 steering cables replaced due to age and also finding a meat hook in one of them. Roller chain was in excellent condition and was retained. This is YS steering pedestal, but the parts all do the same things in these competing steering systems. Best of luck, and keep us informed.
Note that when you remove the compass, light wire, and some odd screws and bolts, take lots of pix and tag and bag all parts thoroughly.
Note B: while you have the cables out, be sure to check the metal sheaves under the pedestal for wear in their center bushings. They should not wobble out of vertical at all.
Note C: if there was enough slack in the cable to let a link slip, do keep the cables more snug in the future.
Note D: You are not alone-- 99.5% of us owners tend to ignore the steering system far longer than we should. I did too.... :(

Last edited:

dochecht

Sailor Leon
It looks like the Cobra 6R pedestal is similar to the Enguard 6R. I will attempt to dissemble today and see what I find. At the same time examine the throttle cable as sometimes it gets stuck in reverse after shutting off the engine to encourage the Maxiprop blades to fold up while cruising. Thanks for your comments and the advice to label and photo each step of the way!

Attachments

• 1587835609232.jpeg
    1587835609232.jpeg
    100.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2848.jpeg
    IMG_2848.jpeg
    118.7 KB · Views: 26

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
IIRC, the "cobra" system was a drag link system that did not use chain or cable. If so, disregard my comments. I recall having a demo sail on Lake Union (Seattle) on a big PSC. Loved the 'feel' of the system -- of course that was a new demo boat.

Edit: is it similar to this?

Attachments

• Whitlock Cobra.jpg
    Whitlock Cobra.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hmmm. Check the quadrant stops. If they are independent units, one may have gotten bent when the rudder slammed over.

If the wheel still turns the rudder approximately the same amount port and starboard, and you can;t find anything else wrong, I would quietly change the center mark on the wheel and shrug.* I've changed my center mark on the wheel several times after working on the system, and it can be hard to get it right in the slip. But one minute under way and the wheel centers automatically.

*Small changes to quadrant arc are greatly multiplied on large diameter wheels.

Last edited:

David Grimm

E38-200
Just recently while installing the below deck pilot I realized that my quadrant is not perfectly centered with the rudder. This can only happen at the factory when they through bolt the quadrant on the rudder shaft. So I get 4 degrees more port then starboard stop block to stop block. If I were you I would get under the cockpit and check the cable to eye bolt connection. Some use a swage compression fitting while others will use a u-bolt style compression fitting. Make sure the thimble is still secure in the cable at the eye bolt. Also check for lock nuts on the u-bolt to quadrant. If all is well, remark the helm and keep an eye on it.

dochecht

Sailor Leon
Yesterday I was on my way to removing the top plate to the binnacle with the intention of finding out why my wheel-quadrant misalignment occurred, and about to drill through undersized frozen allen bolts....when I realized I can just back off on the wheel brake to free the toothed sprockets connecting the wheel shaft to the vertical axle that connects below to the steering quadrant, and re-align the things this way. So I did. What bothers me is not having discovered the cause of the mal-alignment. I examined the rudder stops and they have not moved (they are together form a one piece 'bracket'). As my time this spring is limited, I am putting the binnacle back together with all in alignment. BTW, there are no cables on this quadrant system.
Thanks for the helpful comments!!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I'm missing something. If the brake is tight the wheel won't move, right? The brake is just a set of brake shoes surrounding the shaft.

But then, your steering system is unfamiliar to me--we're used to YS or Edson with chains.

dochecht

Sailor Leon
Lauren Beach (see above) posted the expanded view of the steering mechanism but the wheel brake is different. The diagram here is the wheel brake in my boat. The wheel brake is contained in the center of the wheel - see SR 16 bearing in expanded diagram. The issue I have is the brake knob won't tighten to stop the wheel; I assume it is seized up on the inside so the knob shaft can't penetrate the braking mechanism to stop the wheel.
1587949499037.png