Rudder clunk

gabosifat

Member III
Hi All,

We were out sailing a couple of weeks ago in quite heavy weather (gusting 37knots). Yesterday we went out again in very light air - just ghosting along. Now when the boat rolls or pitches with the waves, we can hear a faint clunk at the behind the pedestal right where the emergency tiller plate is in the cockpit floor. You can feel it when you put your foot on the plate. It is not heavy but it is noticable. I'm wondering if steering in heavy weather on a beam reach & being slightly overpowered could have loosened something down there. I was wondering about the grease fittings at top & bottom of the rudder post - could I have squished all the grease out allowing more play, or could we be talking shims here? Perhaps it is something else altogether. Has anyone experienced this? The boat is new to us so we are just figuring things out.

Many thanks for the replies.

Steve Gabbott
E35/3 Silent Dancer
Vancouver, BC

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Could be

More than likely, you stretched your steering cables, and you could be hearing the quardrant clunking around. This is not uncommon, and periodically the cables must be retensioned if you want good steering, and to keep the bits and pieces from moving around too much under there (and wearing prematurely).
Whatever, you HAVE to inspect the steering system. Start with the cable/quadrant, then check the upper bearing although I doubt this is it).

Whatever it is should be apparent if you go down there and check, and good sense dictates you do, and soon. If it is not obvious, have someone wiggle the wheel while you are down there with a flashlight. If you can hear something, you will likely see it.

Good hunting!

chaco

Member III
Clunky Rudder

Hi Steve,
Had the same experience on my 74' 35II. Great one day...clunky the next !
Crawled in the stern cavity and surveyed the grease/seal/bearing situation.
The shaft stuffing box was fine. The upper and lower bushings were REALLY
dry and took a bit of grease for squueze-out. The clunking stopped, but I
can still feel the we bit of play in the bushing. Will need to be shimmed soon.
As one of our more experienced mechanics can help us out on this process,
I would appreciate the input.

good luck :egrin:

Dan Simpson
Merlin 74' 35II
Oceanside, CA