• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Rudder issues

hdlEric

Member III
Has anyone had experience with their rudder delaminating? The PO of my boat said there were problems with the rudder absorbing water when the boat is on the hard, and that would result in damage to the rudder. Presently there is some lateral and rotational play in the system; about 3/8".
Thanks for your time, Howard

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Rudders have to be covered from strong sun when out of the water, so they don't swell up and distort (they're just foam over a frame covered with a skin, and will quickly bubble in blazing summer sun). I'd say 3/8ths play is common/normal. More than that the rudder clunks when tacking, which suggests looking into. Some sort of shim is often the first remediation.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
And to echo something that Christian has addressed in previous threads, be sure that you have pumped in quantities of grease thru the several (often overlooked) "zerks" on the sides and/or top part of the rudder post tube.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
My rudder has a seam lengthwise around the perimeter. Imagine peeling the fiberglass shell off into symmetrical left and right halves.

When I bought the boat, the leading edge had a 12"+ split in the seam. Years later, it developed a 4" split on the top surface. Any splits allow water under the shell. Both splits were simple epoxy and FG repairs.