Sailing Shoe Reviews

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Agree. Yet still useful for going ashore, wet dinghy, wading in the shallows and such. Easy to wash the dirt off when back aboard.

Slick470

Member III
I have the unfortunate curse of being born with bad feet, notably very bad bunions inherited from my mom via genetics. This has caused me, over time, to develop a foot neuroma which when it acts up is like standing on a lit charcoal briquette. So, buying shoes, any type of shoe is a challenge because I need extra, extra wide shoes (along with special inserts provided by my podiatrist for an exorbitant amount of money) to have any sort of comfort. Buying the typical boat shoe is out of the question, they don’t sell shoes wide enough. So I need to buy on line from companies like Apex or Merrell. Currently wear Merrell for sailing and I found them comfortable and “grippy”. I also sail in sandals which I know is almost like sailing barefoot (which I also sometimes do) and, yes, sometimes I pay the price for it by taking a hit on my bunions and that’s when I do curse like a sailor.

View attachment 51195
Those are my go-to hiking and outdoor shoes, but I'd be concerned with two things on the boat; one, I don't think they are non-marking and two, the lugs pick up lots of little rocks and my marina has a stone parking lot.

Several of the boats I race on have shore shoes and boat shoe rules, so my sailing shoes stay in my bag and I wear sandals ashore. Usually those get kicked off on the slip finger and I change onto the boat shoes onboard. I'm a bit less strict with my own boat, but it's not a bad method. I usually change out of my shore shoes and try to only use my boat shoes on board or on the dock.

ConchyDug

Member III
For the Adidas Terrex fans, Vans has put out the MTE UltraRange EXO shoes that seem similar so far, at least on the grip side. They don't drain as well but you can still walk on walls like spiderman with the grip. They are similar to Zhik shoes as well.

Angel D.

Hello Guys !
Since Im full time on the boat and have no social life shoes are few onboard. Construction boots for when a venture inland to make a coin, Canvas skate shoes similar to Vans for special ocations and boating ,xtratuff deck boots and at last the flipflops ,if its summer and im on anchor or dock you will most likely find me bare foot. I relax better with out shoes. And i see them in the tool realm , like gloves for the feet.

To tell the truth... yes , I've hurt on deck bare foot. Sailor who have not is telling a lie. Like , if you never bang a finger with a hammer ,you are not a carpintear. But after your toe finds to meet your 55lb. anchor on deck your fish on frenezee is elevated to deck awarnes enlightment. If you reach toe nirvana , you will forever exercise caution on deck and be aware of your souranding and keep your deck clean of obstacles. Its similar to drive an old car and get stranded due to over heat follow by engine faliure...after that you check gauges cosntantly for the rest of your life even on new vehicles. This are life lessons.

Any ways , back to the subject... I love the leather saling shoes. The are comfortable and any ocation ready. They just feel and look good! But this year went with the canvas skate shoes, got good traction although lack the Comfort and looks. It felt like going from a Cadillac to a Toyota.

Sperry Wave Rockers Review
I found these Sperrys on closeout (but only in this colour) and decided to pull the trigger a few months ago. Fast forward to the last six weeks of sailing in them, and they may be my new favorite "wet water" sailing shoes. Conditions in the SF Bay can go from reasonable to "hold on!" in the span of an hour or two, and yesterday's conditions were ripe for testing these shoes out even more.

I'm loving them for their grip wet or dry (SO GRIPPY), quick-drying abilities, and comfort (they're weird looking, but super-comfy).

IMG_2742.pngSPECS:
A performance piece of footwear equipment designed with as much speed and power as your boat. The unique design features a soft, perforated neoprene sock fit upper supported by an innovative external TPU harness that provides the ultimate in custom fit and lateral support. Pound the waves, ride the seas, kick them off and they’ll be ready for your next adventure. Dynamic sock-fit design. Molded exterior harness for lateral support.

Materials

• Material Upper: Quick-drying mesh
  • Lining Material: Lightweight, molded EVA footbed provides cushioning and shock absorption
  • Sole: Non-marking rubber outsole with Adaptive Wave Siping™ technology for enhanced wet/dry traction
IMG_2744.png

Not bad for $22 clearance sale.

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
Sperry Wave Rockers Review
I found these Sperrys on closeout (but only in this colour) and decided to pull the trigger a few months ago. Fast forward to the last six weeks of sailing in them, and they may be my new favorite "wet water" sailing shoes. Conditions in the SF Bay can go from reasonable to "hold on!" in the span of an hour or two, and yesterday's conditions were ripe for testing these shoes out even more.

I'm loving them for their grip wet or dry (SO GRIPPY), quick-drying abilities, and comfort (they're weird looking, but super-comfy).

View attachment 51279SPECS:
A performance piece of footwear equipment designed with as much speed and power as your boat. The unique design features a soft, perforated neoprene sock fit upper supported by an innovative external TPU harness that provides the ultimate in custom fit and lateral support. Pound the waves, ride the seas, kick them off and they’ll be ready for your next adventure. Dynamic sock-fit design. Molded exterior harness for lateral support.

Materials

• Material Upper: Quick-drying mesh
  • Lining Material: Lightweight, molded EVA footbed provides cushioning and shock absorption
  • Sole: Non-marking rubber outsole with Adaptive Wave Siping™ technology for enhanced wet/dry traction
View attachment 51278

Not bad for $22 clearance sale.

I'm not sure why, but I still have my old Sperrys which are almost as weird. So the styling of yours has antecedents. Mine are at least twelve years old and long since unfit for use. I recall liking them in their prime.
shoes old sperrys.jpeg

I taught industrial design at a college in Boston and I know a number of students went on to be shoe designers. I'd like to talk to them and find out why they make things so weird. But, I'm an old fart now so probably wouldn't get it.

As a bit of a pack rat, I wish I'd kept photos of my old sailing shoes before discarding them. I have this notion of a Dead Soldiers collage. Yeah, I'm weird too, I guess.

I'm not sure why, but I still have my old Sperrys which are almost as weird. So the styling of yours has antecedents. Mine are at least twelve years old and long since unfit for use. I recall liking them in their prime.
View attachment 51282

I taught industrial design at a college in Boston and I know a number of students went on to be shoe designers. I'd like to talk to them and find out why they make things so weird. But, I'm an old fart now so probably wouldn't get it.

As a bit of a pack rat, I wish I'd kept photos of my old sailing shoes before discarding them. I have this notion of a Dead Soldiers collage. Yeah, I'm weird too, I guess.
Oh wow...those look like a cross between my Speery Wave Riders and SeaCycled sneakers. Fascinating!

I dig those, even if they're a wee past their prime. Regarding my Wave Riders, I have to say that for a lightweight, super-grippy shoe, when wet, they're also comfortable. And, they were dry by the time we got back to the slip.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The everyday price on those nice looking shoes is about what I pay for pair of Keen walking shoes that get used for boating.
I am interested, but wonder if they come in a "wide" or at least a version with a wide "toe box".....?