Sailrite sails

notsew

Has anyone made sails from a sailrite kit?

It seems like a good affordable option for new sails at the price of decent used sails. I am just interested in some imput to help me decide if it is something I want to do. Was it exceedingly difficult? Are you happy with it? Horror stories?

Thanks ahead of time.

Forrest

rgoff

Member III
I looked at Sailrite.com and their E27 mainsail kit is $488.

I bought a brand new main for my E27 from www.thesailwarehouse.com for just over $600 last year. My guess is that if you've never made a sail the slight additional cost would be worth it.

Sailrite has been around for a long time. I bought a jib kit from them over 20 years ago for my Catalina 22.

Good luck,

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Don't

You will be very sorry if you have not made sails before, and more importantly, you are throwing every dime you spend on this kit in the trash in terms of resale. You have a premium boat, and it should have premium sails-or as close as you can get. Any knowledgable buyer who sees a sailrite main will assume the boat has no main.

Not that I have an opinion. But seriously. Your boat deserves better.
:devil:

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Sailrite is good stuff, but...

I second what Seth said.

To build them properly, you need good equipment - the type Sailrite sells (note the cost of one their machines) - and the knowledge that comes from some experience.

On the quality of their kits - from what I could tell, they're very good. I bought and built their anchor riding sail kit for my boat - and just about trashed my sewing machine doing it (and that's TINY by comparison. Very tough - but well worth it (the anchor riding sail).

If you're into it - invest in the infrastructure and the time to learn to do it right - otherwise cut a check and go sailing...

My $0.02

//sse

escapade

Inactive Member
fwiw

We have a Sail-Rite sewing machine. Fine piece of equipment for doing canvas work & minor repairs. As far as making a sail, I have to concur with Seth & Sean, you would be much farther ahead taking the $1,000.00, add a little to it & get a profesionally made sail. (Sail-Rite machines start @ $500.00 and you will NOT be able to do it with mylady's Singer) I bought a used main for my previous boat for $800.00 with recutting and it worked great. If you must save the money, look around. You can probably come up with something.
Good luck, have fun & sail fast
Bud E34 "Escapade" :)