Sandy Hook NJ Transient Dockage?

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
So we are sailing Escape Plan (E-38) up to New England for a 2 week summer cruise in July and the plan was to try and leave the boat in Sandy Hook/Atlantic Highlands area from Sunday July 26 to Friday July 31 so I can go back to work for a week. Then I would come up friday and take the boat home to Annapolis over the weekend.

Can anyone here suggest affordable marinas or locations to leave the boat for that period of time? Not against mooring but would prefer not to anchor.

Also can anyone comment on ease of access to transportation like rental cars or train stations in that area that would help me get back to Baltimore/Annapolis area.

We plan to sail nonstop to Falmouth, MA from Annapolis. Exchange delivery crew for our kids there. Then head out to Nantucket for 2 days and work our way up LI sound for 2 weeks to end up in Sandy Hook. Suggestions for places to visit/anchor/ meet up with other Ericson folks is welcomed!

Chris A.

Member III
This is a few years back, but we would always anchor at Horshoe Cove or near the Coast Guard station. For slips there is the municipal marina in Atlantic Highlands and moorings at Atlantic Highlands Yacht Club if you have yacht club privileges.

If you're behind in your itinerary and find yourself a bit south in Barnegat Bay when you need to leave the boat, I can recommend Dillon's Creek Marina in Toms River. It is a beautiful hidden spot and owned by a family friend of ours.

Cheers,

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Thanks all. A representative from Atlantic Highlands Yacht Club has advised that the club there has moorings. Will need to confirm ability to stay a week though. As for Dillons in Toms River I have done some dinghy racing out there on the Wannamaker(SP?) course and am familiar with that area but what inlet do you run to get in there? Barnegatt?

Cruise plan right now looks like:

Delivery to Falmouth (80hrs? 400miles@5kts?)
2 days on Nantucket
Vinyard Haven (MV)
Cuttyhunk
Block Island
2 days Gardiners Bay/Montauk/Greenport area
Thimble Islands
Cold Spring Harbor
City Island
Atlantic Highlands

Week off to come home to work

Delivery Back to Annapolis friday night to sunday afternoon.

As for tide references I was thinking Reeds but any other reccomendations?

tenders

Innocent Bystander
My tide encyclopedia is a program called TideTool that runs on the Palm OS.
http://www.toolworks.com/bilofsky/tidetool/

The existence of this program is actually 95% of the reason I use Palm and not a Blackberry or iPhone. As far as I can tell there is no similar self-contained software for the Blackberry or iPhone -- there are tide programs for those devices but they rely on having internet access to work.

The paper backup is a book known around these parts for generations as "Eldridge."
http://www.amazon.com/Eldridge-Tide...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241017222&sr=8-1

You may be tempted by digital tide watches that are out there. Don't be: they're toys.

I'm a member of the Harlem Yacht Club on City Island. You would be more than welcome to stay there as long as you like!
http://www.hyc.org/

Obviously, make very sure your calculations are correct going down the East River/Hell Gate/etc. It's a blast when you've done it correctly, flying by traffic stuck on the FDR Expressway on the east side of Manhattan at 12 knots. It sucks when you've done it wrong--it's impossible not to be swept back by the current except by hanging out on the dangerous shallow edges of the river.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Thanks Tenders. Eldrige is on my list. Will certainly take you up on the City Island offer as thats out jump off spot for running through the east river. Maybe come out for a cocktail while we are there? Done that run several times current is definately a factor there. Last trip through was last september on a Beneteau 467 with new engine. Left at sunset from New Rochelle and had unfavorable tide. Doing 8.5 through the water at Hells Gate and 3kts over the bottom.... Certainly plan to time it better with family on board. Want them to see the city during the day too, although it was pretty spectacular on a moonlit friday night, except for those high speed dinner cruises doing 30kts in the dark. Channel 13 on the east river is like CB radio with commercial traffic sounding more like truckers than captains...

Chris A.

Member III
Again, this goes back aways, but Barnegat inlet was always tricky but doable with local knowledge and preferably a shoal draft! A safer bet if you were exploring the Barnegat Bay area would be to come in at Atlantic City from the south, or Manasquan from the north.

Many memories of great sailing on Barnegat Bay and the NJ shore... (pics are Sandy Hook CG station and sunset from the same anchorage)

Attachments

• sandy hook cg.jpg
    sandy hook cg.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 60
  • sandy hook sunset.jpg
    sandy hook sunset.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Yeah Barnegatt is a bit scetchy and with EP's 6'6" draft probably not going to happen. Sounds like the folks at Atlantic Highlands YC have some nice moorings and are holding a regatta that satruday that we will probably sail in. Looks like a point to point race in the Bay there. I figure my kids will be well trained after 2 weeks of cruising...

Thanks all. I'm going to wade through the navigation software posts now... Thinking of just using Maptech on the laptop, hope to interface the Garmin 478 for GPS, but Ive only done it once and that was at home after a few run and tonics...

vbenn

Member III
Having sailed Barnegat for 20+ years, I recommend avoiding Barnegat Inlet. It's prone to shoaling and you need to run it at slack high tide with surf less than 2-3 ft. To get to Toms River, come in from AC if traveling north, or Manasquan if traveling south. Manasquan is deep but can be treacherous if the surf is up - - saw a 50' sport fishing boat broach there once. Also, beware of the numerous commercial and private fishing boats. Best bet is a straight 1-day run between AC and Sandy Hook.

Vince

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Thanks guys. Will probably just end up leaving the boat at Atlantic Highlands YC for the week I need to come back to work. Then return friday night with delivery crew to bring boat home nonstop. Ive been in AC and Manasquan inlets before and AC is not bad but Mansquan can be a beast with commercial fisherman and surf.