Guest viewing is limited

Screens for hatches

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
We have some "drop over" screens, from this company; https://www.sogeman.com/en-us/products/hatch-screens
They work quite well against our mosquitos.... if you put them on the first time you spot a 'skeeter' homing in on your boat.
Lots of other more-talented owners make their own.
Good news is that with your hatch up at about 45 degrees you enjoy more headroom. Bad news is that when the rain arrives at 2 am you do have to carefully push the folds of the netting outward as you gently lower the hatch.
All in all a good product.

frick

Member III
I found on Ebay, a roll of milspec screening. Cut to size for the forward hatch, bound the edges with one inch webbing, and velcroed it to the inside of the forward hatch.

1911tex

Sustaining Member
When it is 100deg in Austin, I don't know what would be worse... mosquitoes or a fine mesh milspec screen over the hatches inhibiting air flow......been there tent camping in younger days..not a pleasant thought. How about shutting the hatches and putting a portable A/C unit where it can drip condensation out into the cockpit?

Bob Robertson

Member III
We have what appears to be Milspec Screen. The screens are cut to size to fit the inside of the wood trim for each of the hatches.
The screen has .25 inch self adhesive Velcro around the edges of the screens. Then there is a .25 inch piece of self adhesive Velcro around each of the of the hatches just inside of the wood trim.

We've had them for about 25 years and we always leave them in place. We, of course, open them a bit to open or close the hatches.
The Velcro on the screens is the original. We've replaced the self adhesive Velcro on the wood trim every few of years. Sometimes I just use contact cement to keep them in place.

I'd post a picture, but with all of the virus stuff we haven't gotten up to the boat yet.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Not part of the original question, but for just 'discouraging' skeeters, we have used a large citronella candle out in the cockpit and a smaller one in the cabin. It seems to work.

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Not part of the original question, but for just 'discouraging' skeeters, we have used a large citronella candle out in the cockpit and a smaller one in the cabin. It seems to work.
Great alternative plus making a little glow of light in the cabin....We used those in the car at drive in movie theaters a few years back...they worked ! But who would know there was a movie on or mosquitoes with a date sitting in the middle of the bench seat next to you and a big bag of hot popcorn!