Sea trial for 1990 Ericson 34-2 next week

Phr3d

Member I
We are going to the boat tomorrow to try to find answers to questions like these.
There are some areas near the hoses on the heat exchanger and the freshwater hose (There is residue from coolant on that one) over the alternator that appear to have had moisture weeping. The hoses seem dry and may not be sealing well.

Phr3d

Member I
There are some areas near the hoses on the heat exchanger and the freshwater hose (There is residue from coolant on that one) over the alternator that appear to have had moisture weeping. The hoses seem dry and may not be sealing well.

Left side - could that be the source of all the rust? Is this a usual problem?

Right side - there is rust behind alternator - These hoses seem brittle. Is there a recommended hose for replacement?

1714474394915.png

Also, for the throttle not staying put issue. Is there a cable adjustment inside the pedestal?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
One factor to consider is that many owners never replaced their coolant hoses on their engine until one of 'em blows apart or leaks noticeably. Lots better to just (pick a round number like 20) and change them all..... out.... at twenty years. Our former Universal did have a one or two formed hoses that were more expensive to source, but most were easy to find at a local industrial hose supplier.
The throttle cable will often have a special clamp around it, near the engine. This lets you carefully add some friction and thereby stop the creeping of the inner control cable under vibration. The prior owner had installed one on our engine - noticed when we bought the boat.
There is a great feeling of accomplishment in changing out all.... of the old hoses at once. And enhanced reliability.

Last edited:

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Can't tell from picture, how tight are the clamps ? I find that all the clamps need inspecting/tightening once a year, especially the exhaust ones.

Ralph Hewitt

Member III
Good morning all,

JohnW's thread on the 32-3 was a great read. All of the posts were very helpful.

I'm also currently on the buying-my-first-keel-boat pilgrimage, having first started with the boat thing last year with my CA boat card, learning about how much I need to learn in so far taking 5 classes, having a perception adjustment while sailing in one class during a recent gale warning ("we reef now"), and made some great acquaintances with wisdom on hull, rigging and engines. I almost made an offer last year on a very nice 32-200, but its gone now...

So - I'm all over the place thinking about the sea trial. And, I can't help wondering about the anchor without a windlass. My wife does like the cushions.

Any feedback is welcome. https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1990-ericson-34-9244926/

Paul
Sounds like a Great Buy...
Jump on it.