Sea trial for 1990 Ericson 34-2 next week

Phr3d

Member II
We are going to the boat tomorrow to try to find answers to questions like these.
There are some areas near the hoses on the heat exchanger and the freshwater hose (There is residue from coolant on that one) over the alternator that appear to have had moisture weeping. The hoses seem dry and may not be sealing well.

Phr3d

Member II
There are some areas near the hoses on the heat exchanger and the freshwater hose (There is residue from coolant on that one) over the alternator that appear to have had moisture weeping. The hoses seem dry and may not be sealing well.

Left side - could that be the source of all the rust? Is this a usual problem?

Right side - there is rust behind alternator - These hoses seem brittle. Is there a recommended hose for replacement?

1714474394915.png

Also, for the throttle not staying put issue. Is there a cable adjustment inside the pedestal?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
One factor to consider is that many owners never replaced their coolant hoses on their engine until one of 'em blows apart or leaks noticeably. Lots better to just (pick a round number like 20) and change them all..... out.... at twenty years. Our former Universal did have a one or two formed hoses that were more expensive to source, but most were easy to find at a local industrial hose supplier.
The throttle cable will often have a special clamp around it, near the engine. This lets you carefully add some friction and thereby stop the creeping of the inner control cable under vibration. The prior owner had installed one on our engine - noticed when we bought the boat.
There is a great feeling of accomplishment in changing out all.... of the old hoses at once. And enhanced reliability.

Last edited:

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Can't tell from picture, how tight are the clamps ? I find that all the clamps need inspecting/tightening once a year, especially the exhaust ones.

Ralph Hewitt

Member III
Good morning all,

JohnW's thread on the 32-3 was a great read. All of the posts were very helpful.

I'm also currently on the buying-my-first-keel-boat pilgrimage, having first started with the boat thing last year with my CA boat card, learning about how much I need to learn in so far taking 5 classes, having a perception adjustment while sailing in one class during a recent gale warning ("we reef now"), and made some great acquaintances with wisdom on hull, rigging and engines. I almost made an offer last year on a very nice 32-200, but its gone now...

So - I'm all over the place thinking about the sea trial. And, I can't help wondering about the anchor without a windlass. My wife does like the cushions.

Any feedback is welcome. https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1990-ericson-34-9244926/

Paul
Sounds like a Great Buy...
Jump on it.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Aha! So that's what it's called. "Split bolt wire connector."

I have one on my boat, much classier than the one I found on line.

Pete the Cat

Sustaining Member
Being a 1990 model I would guess it has a Edson pedestal ? If so there should be a friction adjustment screw but it is inside the pedestal so a little work to get to it. Here is a Edson doc showing same.....

https://edsonmarine.com/content/EB396EngineControlInstr.pdf
I am not sure what you mean by a "friction adjustment screw". There is a wheel brake (with a couple shoes that clamp around a knurled shaft when the knob on the starboard side the binnacle is turned, but I have never seen any other friction adjustment in a Edson pedestal. The clamp to provide friction on the Morse throttle cable is generally installed at the base of the pedestal or near the engine. FWIW.
These wheel brakes seem to suffer poor maintenance on most of the boats I have delivered. I am not sure if that is because they are left partly engaged or someone greases them accidentally (!!). Anyway, they do need periodic servicing and Edson sells a kit. Be sure to put a cloth in the pedestal to catch the washer and nut you are sure to drop while servicing this. Don't ask. They are meant to save wear on your steering gear when on a mooring or at anchor, but I wonder how many folks actually use them that way.

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Looks like the document that Dave provided shows the friction adjuster he's talking about:

1714525373428.png
I don't remember an adjustment on my yacht specialties pedestal, but I really like this approach instead of the split bolt or other method of squeezing the control cable.

Phr3d

Member II
I can't believe I don't have a picture from last weekend, but I can't seem to find it. This is a picture I found online that has the same bracket.

The throttle cable lines up perfectly to touch the hot exhaust (hence the electrical tape/aluminum foil heat shield).

Is there some other bracket or is it possible the cable was replaced at some point with an unfortunate bend entering the engine compartment?

Also - this view makes me think the cooling system hose may be a great source of dripping water (where all the rust is beneath it). I have all 4 of the shaped hoses in my cart. Is there a motivating difference between the recommended 316 and highly available 306 stainless hose clamps?

1714571355091.png

Pete the Cat

Sustaining Member
Ray, Please see attached from Edson in my post showing "throttle friction adjuster". My last boat had Edson steering and had to adjust that very thing :)
I see that you are right. There is such a thing in the pedestal as a throttle friction adjuster in the Edson pedestal. I did not know it existed. I learn something new every day it seems. I have several of these units apart for various repairs and I have only read the voluminous Edson instructions (where do they get those people?) lightly. I have always been reluctant to do a lot of work inside the pedestal because lubricating it is tricky without fouling the wheel brake---which I consider a very important component of the setup. I have opened up a couple where the lubrication efforts have disabled the brake function. Mostly I find that any SS screws into the aluminum (?) alloy of the pedestal are often stuck with galvanic corrosion and I have had to retap and put oversized hardware in place. It gets complicated quickly. I would caution folks to be cautious with lubricating as the instructions suggest. I would wonder if the throttle adjusting screw would survive the corrosive effects of dissimilar metals in this vulnerable place? And any time you take this thing apart remember to put a cloth in there to catch the nut or bolt you drop and put some silicone on all those SS screws you put back into the aluminum housing.
I am thinking the mechanics I have worked with save some time by using clamps on the Morse cables as an alternative that may simplify the process a bit. I am not sure if the Yacht Specialty pedestals have a similar adjustment. Yanmar sells the cable clamp that Christian posted so it must be a common usage for some reason.
Thanks for the education.

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
I was holding off accepting the boat until insurance was verified.

That came in during my lunch, so I signed the acceptance paperwork and sent it back.

Is it premature to celebrate being a boat owner?
Congrats and welcome to the club.