Seawater intake clogged...

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
I thought I had to cancel a sail (with some friends on board) because there was no seawater pumping through the engine. I have a habit of checking the outflow at the stern and there was nothing coming out. Since some guests might be disappointed that sail was going to be depreciated into a "slip party", I thought it was worthwhile trying to see if I could fix it.

I removed the impeller cover on the seawater pump and everything looked fine, but I dropped one of the machine screws down into the engine mount area with no hopes of easily finding it (gulp - maybe this was a not a good sailing day or somewhat brought bananas on the boat). I closed the cover and torqued the remaining three screws and that seem to hold the cover on tight. I removed the input hose from thru-hull to pump and tried to "blow" into it. it seemed like it was clogged. I blew it again and was able to get air through it. I lowered the hose into a bucket and it let water in, so I guess it was unclogged (or partially so). I restarted the engine and the seawater circulation was restored and we went sailing after about a 30 minute delay (sans a cover screw but no leak on the cover with just 3 screws holding).

I have only had a boat in this area for about a year and I was starting to wonder when the last time the bottom was cleaned (?) I normally get it done every other month but for some reason, it has not been done in almost 3 months. A few days later he coincidently cleaned it and sent me the invoice and there was a charge for 15.00 extra for additional cleaning time because of the growth (paint and zincs are OK).

So, I'm wondering if the intake clog was due to bottom growth maybe ? Obviously something I am going to have to think about again. On the positive side I gain a bit of confidence (and independence) every time I can fix something myself . I thought for sure this was going to be another call to the diesel mechanic and a $1000 repair bill !

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
In our slightly warmer water about 4 degrees of latitude south of you, we have to have the bottom cleaned monthly Because of a) slime growth and b) hard shelled creatures growth. In addition to growth you could have sucked up plastic trash. You did the right thing to clear it.

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Keith was most likely correct.....sucked up or blocked with plastic trash or the like...The waters of our world are sadly full of it !

Mr. Scarlett

Member III
I have the hose on the through hull side of the strainer that's long enough to reach above the waterline. This way I can disconnect the hose from the strainer, bring it above the water level, open the valve and blow it out.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have the hose on the through hull side of the strainer that's long enough to reach above the waterline. This way I can disconnect the hose from the strainer, bring it above the water level, open the valve and blow it out.
I once used my Zodiac foot pump to back-pressurize my fuel line to the tank and confirm that it was open; trouble shooting was then further narrowed down.
Seems like it could be used for this application too. One method to join up the hoses is... duct tape...
:)

Chris Mc.

Member III
And don’t forget about those slow moving pesky jellyfish. The local marina HVAC guys really appreciate the credit card captains this time of year.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Another comment is that there can be an airlock which the impeller has difficulty with. I had that happen after a haulout once. I had to disconnect the hose an join the garden hose to the detached raw water hose end (by hand....free shower supplied) and jet some tap water through it.. Then upon reassembly, it worked and I could leave the boatyard dock.