Sheaves and their housing

Glenn McElfresh

Hi,
I'm new to the board and just want to say this place has been a godsend since I have found it. But I digress. I sail on a 1973 Ericson 79 in the Great Lakes area and the boat has been in a process of continual upgrading. We have replaced the majority of the sheaves and replaced all of the halyards from wire-to-rope to some hi-tech line. Before we purchased the boat, however, the previous owner removed the sheave and its housing, now for all of you that do not know what this, I have included pictures. However, here is my question: is there any place where this could be purchased or would I be better off going to a maching shop and getting the pieces machined. It's not a particularly confusing piece, it's just that for the sake of strength and accuaracy purchasing it may be better off. Thanks a ton.

Attachments

• IMG00002.jpg
    IMG00002.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG00003.jpg
    IMG00003.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 58

Guy Stevens

Er no purchasing

These were manufactured by sparcraft. They are wonderful, I replace both sheaves in them with Garhauer ball bearning sheaves, and they work wonderfully.

The photo only shows one of the two sheaves that are part of the piece. I have to pull one of mine to replace the seaves, so I could take a photo for you.

Also if you can't find anyone local to make them let me know I have a source here.

Guy
:)

Glenn McElfresh

Thanks

I actually worked at a machine shop, so I can get this made with some of their scrap free of charge. :egrin: But thanks a ton. Hopefully it goes well and I can have it made shortly. Thankfully it's reachable without having to go up the mast so that's great.

jreddington

Member III
Rigging Replacement - Replace Sheaves

I'm doing a rigging replacement on my '84 E-28, including both the stays and the halyards. While I have the mast down I thought now might be the best time to check out the sheaves.

Guy, thanks for the input on the Garhauer sheaves. I'll have to check them out. The old sheaves were working fine but I'm sure after 20+ years they are not spinning like they used to and newer units have upgraded since then.

Couple questions in this area. The housing for the jib halyard sheave appears to be riveted in. Looks like I'll have to drill out rivets. Is this the "normal" way of securing this housing?

Also, with improved lines I think I'll replace the rope/wire jib halyard with all rope. I'd have to replace the sheave anyway for this wouldn't I since sheaves are either for rope or wire.

Also, I'm wondering if there would be a problem downsizing the lines a bit assuming newer tech line (like XLS Extra T) has less stretch than the unkown previous line? I think what I have is 7/16" diameter but the Sampson application guide says 3/8" is OK.

By the way, while the mast is down I'll also be replacing the anchor, steaming, and deck light (anchor with LED) and the wiring plus antenna coax (plus an new antenna).

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Jim,

I'm not sure about the housing for the sheave, but the sheave itself should be removed, disassembled and inspected. If the axle is in good shape (and does it have bushings or are the holes elongated?), then I would think that you could have the sheave machined at a local shop very cheaply. They could make it fit any line you want to switch to. It should probably be re-machined even if not changing from wire to line as it is bound to have burrs and to be grooved. If you machine it & it's in good shape & turns freely with a good, long lasting lubricant, it's good for another 10+ years.:egrin:

You line choice sounds good. 3/8" should be fine but even 5/16" would be plenty strong enough, though a bit tougher on the hands.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Halyard change-over notes

Our boat came with original wire to rope halyards... four of 'em.:mad:
When I first started to replace them with hi-tech line I tried 3/8, but that, while do-able, was really too tight in the masthead sheaves.
I then went with 5/16 line. Luck is with me -- this is the smallest line diameter that will grip in our clutch stoppers and hold ok in the housetop ST winches.
Problem was that the former halyard wire was led thru aluminum sheaves at the mast head were really sized for.

If you believe that the 5/16 is small for good grip by hand or grip by your ST winch or stopper, you could add a sleeve to the halyard tail section that goes down the housetop.

Note that after the switch to all-rope, you should pull those masthead sheaves and turn them to smooth out the burrs. You don't want to abrade that new spendy line.

"Another penny's worth of advice!"

Cheers,
Loren
:cool: