• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Short sail today

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
Short solo sail today on my Ericson 33RH from Sausalito to San Francisco ( marina ) and return before the next storm . Still trying to dial in single hand technique and setup , especially with the tiller pilot and bungee combination. Sailing in 10 kts of wind and no swell or chop. The biggest hazard of the day was all the floating wood from the last storm ( and the ships ) . Please excuse the low production quality . Maybe when covid is under control some of you can join me .

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
I know that patch of water! Looks good, Kevin.
Yes, today is was a straight beam reach to SF Marina district and back. Pretty good heel and weather helm in my boat in the 10-11 kt areas - which confirms that in 12-15, I better have the first reef in until I get a new main sail which will allow me to get a flatter configuration . I have made mods to my rigging to more easily do the reefing now. Nothing too dazzling today but it was good to get out for a few hours. Let me know next time you go out and we can do multi-boat sail.

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
The conditions look great, thanks for the video. Were you coming from the anchorage in Sausalito?
I was coming from the Sausalito Yacht harbor..it was light conditions but I was able to sail the whole way. Just used the motor to get in/our of the marina. it’s a great location when you can get on the water for 2 hours and sail to another city and back :)

frosero7744

Member II
I was out playing this weekend also. Might have seen some of you out there. I blazed a trail from Alameda to Sausalito and around Alcatraz. This shot was my reward motoring back past Yerba Buena after the wind shut off.

20210130_164743.jpg

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
I was out playing this weekend also. Might have seen some of you out there. I blazed a trail from Alameda to Sausalito and around Alcatraz. This shot was my reward motoring back past Yerba Buena after the wind shut off.

View attachment 36975
Nice shot. I am looking for more sailing routes in the bay that I can do for a few hours - so far I have mostly been just across the slit from Sausalito to SF and also through racoon straits (the channel between Tiburon and Angel Island). I have been wanting to go further east. Is Alameda via Alcatraz a nice route (depending on prevailing winds ?). I am starting from Sausalito.

frosero7744

Member II
Nice shot. I am looking for more sailing routes in the bay that I can do for a few hours - so far I have mostly been just across the slit from Sausalito to SF and also through racoon straits (the channel between Tiburon and Angel Island). I have been wanting to go further east. Is Alameda via Alcatraz a nice route (depending on prevailing winds ?). I am starting from Sausalito.
i like going around islands personally. Not exactly sure why hahaha!! I will base my plan for the day on 1, 2 or 3 islands. A one island trip is out of alameda and around treasure island. A 2 island trip adds in either angel island or Alcatraz. 3 islands usually happens when I'm trying to dock at angel island but get there too late for a slip so i go around and head past Alcatraz and catch a nice downwind run home. Sometimes a 2 or 3 island day turns into a 1 island day if I'm getting my butt kicked in the slot. The islands have an exposed side and unexposed side also so you can usually hide for a bit if you need to regroup also.

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
i like going around islands personally. Not exactly sure why hahaha!! I will base my plan for the day on 1, 2 or 3 islands. A one island trip is out of alameda and around treasure island. A 2 island trip adds in either angel island or Alcatraz. 3 islands usually happens when I'm trying to dock at angel island but get there too late for a slip so i go around and head past Alcatraz and catch a nice downwind run home. Sometimes a 2 or 3 island day turns into a 1 island day if I'm getting my butt kicked in the slot. The islands have an exposed side and unexposed side also so you can usually hide for a bit if you need to regroup also.
Love it. I run the same routes from the north side. Down around Treasure Island is a full day.

My winter single-hand sail plan strategy has settled into setting the main at the second reef from the start and furling the jib if the situation escalates.

I did a loop down around Angel yesterday. Nothing particularly noteworthy, but I was greeted by stinky friends upon my return.

IMG_1060.JPG

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
Great info !. If you are sailing around Alcatraz, are there any submerged rocks or other hazards not clearly marked on chart or buoyed ? As I recall from looking at the chart, there are some shallow areas that were pretty far away from the island and the depth can really fluctuate with tide.

I didn't realize you can get a temporary slip on Angel Island. Wondering if it is open due to Covid ? Now that by boat is setup to sail singlehanded, I'm interested in exploring the bay a bit further.

frosero7744

Member II
Definitely check out Ayala Cove at Angel Island. 30 or so docks for day use and some mooring balls for overnight. Got to be there at or before 10am for a decent chance of a slip. Be wary of the tide, at arrival and departure times. It can be shallow and depths are forever changing.

As for submerged rocks around Alcatraz........I havent hit anything yet. haha!!! My usual route from Racoon Straight aims towards the Palace of fine arts which is fair bit west of the island. I use a simple Nav program to record and track stats. I keep it zoomed in on my location so in theory if something bad was coming I should see it on the Nav before I run over it.

Give it a go. Pay heed to GoldenStates comment though about reefing everything at the start before you hit the slot if you're short handed. i have found it a lot easier to shake out a reef than put one in while under fire.

Last edited:

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
Definitely check out Ayala Cove at Angel Island. 30 or so docks for day use and some mooring balls for overnight. Got to be there at or before 10am for a decent chance of a slip. Be wary of the tide, at arrival and departure times. It can be shallow and depths are forever changing.

As for submerged rocks around Alcatraz........I havent hit anything yet. haha!!! My usual route from Racoon Straight aims towards the Palace of fine arts which is fair bit west of the island. I use a simple Nav program to record and track stats. I keep it zoomed in on my location so in theory if something bad was coming I should see it on the Nav before I run over it.

Give it a go. Pay heed to GoldenStates comment though about reefing everything at the start before you hit the slot if you're short handed. i have found it a lot easier to shake out a reef than put one in while under fire.
Great info ! Since moving sail controls lines back to cockpit , I have not installed my second reef line yet ( original was too short ) . It’s easy to underestimate the length of line you actually need. I was even thinking about a third , but I recently tested my boat in 20kts on jib alone and if points ok, so I’m thinking maybe I don’t need a dedicated 3rd . ( or I can use the 2nd for a 3rd or just take down the main .)

frosero7744

Member II
Great info ! Since moving sail controls lines back to cockpit , I have not installed my second reef line yet ( original was too short ) . It’s easy to underestimate the length of line you actually need. I was even thinking about a third , but I recently tested my boat in 20kts on jib alone and if points ok, so I’m thinking maybe I don’t need a dedicated 3rd . ( or I can use the 2nd for a 3rd or just take down the main .)
Quite often in the summer i only have half the jib out, no main and sail just fine. Still get a bit of weather helm oddly but boat balances quite well with just a jib upwind. Things are not as clean when you beam or broad reach though. Having some main up when you start downwind is better than having none if getting downwind is part of the plan. i have a hard time getting the main up downwind otherwise. Just food for thought. Ive spent some time flailing about fine tuning my plan. Plan C in my back pocket has been to heave to and get sorted if all else fails. Good luck!

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Great info !. If you are sailing around Alcatraz, are there any submerged rocks or other hazards not clearly marked on chart or buoyed ? As I recall from looking at the chart, there are some shallow areas that were pretty far away from the island and the depth can really fluctuate with tide.
My only safety point on Alcatraz is that it is smack in the middle of the wind and tide driven in under the GGB.

If you have a strong flood tide you will be pushed toward the island by the current and may wind up closer to the shore than you think your course will carry you. The currents matter - ask me how I know. :)

I think the current issue is slightly less worrisome from the backside of the island on an ebb.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
The far west end of Alcatraz is an issue. Don't go inside the green buoy, even if you see others doing it. Most races prohibit it. The same for the south end of Angel (Point Blunt). At least that's what I do.

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
The far west end of Alcatraz is an issue. Don't go inside the green buoy, even if you see others doing it. Most races prohibit it. The same for the south end of Angel (Point Blunt). At least that's what I do.
Thanks .. good to know .

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
Had another great sail yesterday. this time we motored through racoon straits (no wind) but after rounding Angel Island, we caught a 12 kt breeze on a tack to Alcatraz. When then then tacked again before getting too close to Alcatraz and headed towards the Golden Gate bridge about half way we got mixed up in the SYC race :), then turned to a beam reach and headed home to Sausalito. Great sail in only about 10 miles journey.