• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Slow leak?

southofvictor

Member III
Blogs Author
By the way, shouldn't there be a coin stuck there under the mast?

Haha it‘s there sitting partway over one of the screw heads. Hard to see it’s turned about as black as the step base. I cleaned it as much as I could when I cleaned the step but it’s still pretty black.

peaman

Sustaining Member
Haha it‘s there sitting partway over one of the screw heads. Hard to see it’s turned about as black as the step base. I cleaned it as much as I could when I cleaned the step but it’s still pretty black.
The silver coin was placed under wooden masts for good luck, and it probably had preservative properties by killing the fungus that causes rot. I wonder if we shouldn't be using zinc or magnesium coins for our own measure of luck with our new-fangled masts?

Ralph Hewitt

Member III
Not sure of your boat, but mine had a small (3/4"x1"?) piece of teak covering a hole in the sole just forward of the mast and directly above the forward-most keel bolt. I also have an access opening into he bilge from an adjacent locker. A socket can be passed through the adjacent access opening and placed onto the keel bolt nut, and then a socket extension can be put through the hole in the sole to attach to the socket below the sole, and then attached to a wrench above the sole.

I hope that is clear.
On what boat and year? Please

peaman

Sustaining Member
On what boat and year? Please
1987 32-3, so very different from yours. But the factory made provisions for getting to the keel bolts, which I was not aware of until I asked on this forum and only then discovered the secret access opening.