Snubbers - What's the story?

Cruzzor

Steve B. - Santa Cruz
I just got a new slip for my E-25, moving from the "Upper" harbor in Santa Cruz to the "Lower" harbor. For those of you not familiar with Santa Cruz, that means two things: No more going under the bridge (YES!) and being subjected to a bit more surge.

I've never used snubbers on dock lines before, so I looked around at other boats. What I saw was - some used them, some not. Some on just the fore and aft lines, some on the spring lines too. Some just on the bow, some just on the stern. What's the "right" way to do this?

Steve
E-25 "Necessity"
Santa Cruz, CA

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Snubbers = A Good Thing

We require snubbers on bow and stern lines in our YC because the club faces a large river with lots of barge traffic and wake-law-violating Bayliner-driving idiots.
What with the greater length of the spring lines, and this letting the natural stretch of the nylon do its work, snubbers are optional for springs.

The shorter the line, the more you need that snubber. Use the heavy black rubber one that you wind the line around a bunch of times. These are a bear to thread the line (twice) thru each end, but they hold up the best by far.

Use *three strand nylon* lines, and buy quality stuff. Use chafe gear on the line at your boat and on the edge of the dock if needed.

Check those eyes for chafe on a regular basis. You'll be fine. You will really like going for a sail without having to lower and raise the spar every time!
:)

Regards,
Loren in PDX
RCYC, on the Columbia River

Last edited: