• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Solar arch designs

Robertsailor

Hi all,
Brand new here, first post.
We are in the middle of finalizing our purchase of an 88-Ericson 38-200. Eventually we will probably take it offshore. It has very little solar power and I’d like to add a minimum of 400 watts but more would be better. I’d like to leave the option open to be able to mount a vane.
Now surely some folks in this group have a decent arch design that they have already mounted on their boat and could post pics so I could pick their brain. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated…..Robert

dhill

Member III
Hi @Robertsailor ,

Welcome! This is one of the best solar arch designs I've seen (1600W on a 38 foot monohull):

Good luck with your purchase!

Dave

Last edited:

Stuphoto

Member III
I haven't found a solar arch I like the looks of yet.
However I like the idea of Sailing Oka Solo's sliding arch.

At least you can tuck some panels safely away when traveling or in harsh conditions and pull them out when safely anchored.

Robertsailor

At least you can tuck some panels safely away when traveling or in harsh conditions and pull them out when safely anchored.
Wow! Gotta take my hat off to that gal, she makes stuff happen, industrial for sure, maybe even agricultural but she’s making enough power for a small village, lol. Thanks, Stu…. I enjoyed that.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I guess we all have different standards of ugly.

Some solar panels on a bimini aren't too intrusive, at least to my eye. My boat originally had panels on the cockpit lifelines which could be levered up and set for sun angle.

solar panels.JPG

Just as a comment, not arguing against solar: compute how much solar power you really need. With a hefty alternator, the diesel is an effective and inexpensive means of recharging batteries. Turning a boat into an electric power plant is often not necessary, unless you have many heavy load appliances such as AC, deep freeze, power steering (for which big boats have a dedicated generator).

The distinction should be made between passage-making and living on board in the tropics.

Passage making is rarely more than three weeks at sea, during which the sun may never come out. Engine charging will need to be reliable.

Living aboard in Polynesia changes everything. Months on a hook means wind generator, lots of solar, watermaker, and elaborate sun protection, which also provides solar mounting.

For most of us planning family cruises, less is more and more is less .

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author

Patricia is quite a resourceful sailor. I've been following her for a while and always look forward projects.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Just as a comment, not arguing against solar: compute how much solar power you really need. With a hefty alternator, the diesel is an effective and inexpensive means of recharging batteries.
Unless your boat (like Sailing Oka Solo) has electric propulsion. :)

Stuphoto

Member III
Patricia is quite a resourceful sailor. I've been following her for a while and always look forward projects.
Some friends have met her and said she is a wonderful lady,
If I am not called into work this summer I will be sailing past her home base and will hopefully have the opportunity to meet her.

Sorry Christian,
I just prefer nice sleek looking boats.
However I may be stuck adding more panels to my boat and will probably make a rack that can double as a bimini or dodger.

Robertsailor

I guess we all have different standards of ugly.

Some solar panels on a bimini aren't too intrusive, at least to my eye. My boat originally had panels on the cockpit lifelines which could be levered up and set for sun angle.

View attachment 47161

Just as a comment, not arguing against solar: compute how much solar power you really need. With a hefty alternator, the diesel is an effective and inexpensive means of recharging batteries. Turning a boat into an electric power plant is often not necessary, unless you have many heavy load appliances such as AC, deep freeze, power steering (for which big boats have a dedicated generator).

The distinction should be made between passage-making and living on board in the tropics.

Passage making is rarely more than three weeks at sea, during which the sun may never come out. Engine charging will need to be reliable.

Living aboard in Polynesia changes everything. Months on a hook means wind generator, lots of solar, watermaker, and elaborate sun protection, which also provides solar mounting.

For most of us planning family cruises, less is more and more is less .
Hi there,
Thanks for your insight. Much appreciated. Robert