Source of Teak

JonathanCarlos

Member I
I am going to take on fun of building 2 new hatches for our 36c.
I am looking for a good quality source for teak. I plan to check out a couple specialty lumber stores near me in Northern California. However, I thought I would post up here to see if anybody has a good online source to source some teak board.
Does anyone here have a good online source that they’ve used before?
Thanks
JC

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I guess nobody has the answer. At my hardwood supplier last year teak was $55 a foot (6"x1x12"). I used walnut for the project instead. Home Depot has teak for much less, but it's not "real" (hard, dense) teak.

I've used Home Depot mahogany for teak replacement jobs, and although it doesn't look much like real mahogany, and only vaguely resembles teak, it varnishes well for interior use. Never tried it for outdoor stuff.

Nick J

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I've tried to use East Teak in Sultan, WA a few times. It looks like they may have been bought out by someone else since their local listing directs you to https://ettfinewoods.com/. They're always been really nice, but my projects have always bee too small for them. When they said my projects were too small, they directed me to local lumber yards. When I get to the lumber yards and see the cost of teak, I usually purchase Sapele (mahogany) instead. I've also ordered teak trim pieces from defender.com and it looks like they may be a little more affordable than what I've seen at my local lumber yards. I'm not sure how much teak a hatch would take, but it can't hurt to send East Teak an email and see what they have to say.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
In the "FWIW" department of odd answers...... in our house remodel a decade ago we opted to installed solid hardwood floors. It turns out that there is a species of teak - a relative - that is similar in look and grain. Color is not quite the same, but close. Price was way under half of the unaffordable teak. (I should note that the color of teak varies quite a bit from one piece to another, as well.

Usually sold as flooring, you might have a look at Cumaru, aka Brazilian Teak. One caution: like teak it is very hard on tools and fine splinters will find entry in unprotected hands. Varnished, it is very close to teak, and IMHO is lovely.

I have never used IPE, but note that it is sold next to Cumaru.
Good Luck!

JonathanCarlos

Member I
Thank you all for the responses.

I like the ideas of using another type of wood. Might be the way to go. My wife also reminded me that the consignment chandlery in Ventura sometimes has teak. We are headed down to our boat in Channels Islands tomorrow. I may take a swing by and see what they have laying around.

Very much apricate everyone who took the time to lend me advice.

JC

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Thank you all for the responses.

I like the ideas of using another type of wood. Might be the way to go. My wife also reminded me that the consignment chandlery in Ventura sometimes has teak. We are headed down to our boat in Channels Islands tomorrow. I may take a swing by and see what they have laying around.

Very much apricate everyone who took the time to lend me advice.

JC
Minney's in Newport Beach also typically has a bunch of it.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I have used Aura Hardwoods in Santa Cruz in the past. They usually had some stock and sometimes had a decent selection. I haven't been to the yard in a few years so no current purchases. (831)462-1525

unidiver

Member I
I guess nobody has the answer. At my hardwood supplier last year teak was $55 a foot (6"x1x12"). I used walnut for the project instead. Home Depot has teak for much less, but it's not "real" (hard, dense) teak.

I've used Home Depot mahogany for teak replacement jobs, and although it doesn't look much like real mahogany, and only vaguely resembles teak, it varnishes well for interior use. Never tried it for outdoor stuff.

I've used Home Depot mahogany for teak replacement jobs, and although it doesn't look much like real mahogany, and only vaguely resembles teak, it varnishes well for interior use. Never tried it for outdoor stuff

Where did you buy the plywood with T&H veneer in San Diego? Love your videos, BTW. Hope to cross paths some day. Jim Morgan/35mk3/Green Flash/Oceanside.

TS Farley

Member II
I am also replacing the forward hatch lid on my 1975 Ericson 35. Industrial Plastics is shaping the 1/2" acrylic sheet and I am rebuilding the wooden frame. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for the sealant between the acrylic and the wood.

klb67pgh

Member III
I am also replacing the forward hatch lid on my 1975 Ericson 35. Industrial Plastics is shaping the 1/2" acrylic sheet and I am rebuilding the wooden frame. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for the sealant between the acrylic and the wood.
I used Boat Life Life Seal clear to rebed the acrylic sheet to the teak hatch on my E-25 with good results so far.

TS Farley

Member II
Was your teak bare wood? I have some mystery wood from a stack of palate wood from Asia. It is incredibly dense and reddish, not teak or mahogany but I'm hoping it will last a few years. I was thinking of painting it and was wondering if the sealant adheres to paint as well as bare wood.

Spiny Norman

Member I
Mount Storm Forest Products in Windsor, CA. One hour north of San Francisco.

AK67

Member II
Depending on what you're after and your options: We have marine salvage operations with lots of used teak. Much of it in pretty good shape.

JonathanCarlos

Member I
Depending on what you're after and your options: We have marine salvage operations with lots of used teak. Much of it in pretty good shape.
How do I contact you. The hatches I am doing are pretty straight forward.
I took some rough measurements, but am going to the boat next weekend and will take final measurements so I know what I need.
JC

Gary Filgate

A great alternative to Teak is Padauk. Padauk a is reddish brown mineral wood which shares a lot of the same characteristics as Teak, such as rot resistance and durability. It is an oily wood and would need to be wiped down with acetone prior to varnishing. Like Teak, this wood will dull cutting blades. If properly prepped and varnished, it will last as long as you own your boat. The best part is the price - $11.00/12.00 a board foot as opposed to $65.00 - $67.00 a board foot for Teak.

Attachments

• pterocarpus-soyauxii-300x600.jpg
    pterocarpus-soyauxii-300x600.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 4