Speaker Grill

Leon Sheean

Member II
After 20 years of inadvertant foot contact, my plastic speaker covers (under the helm seat) are starting to look ugly. I'd like to replace these grills over 6 ½ inch Jessen speakers, I have already checked auto-audio stores, auto catalogues, the internet, and even my local West Marine dealer. Up till now I've been too cheap to go out and get new speakers/covers for $70.00, but the teasing is starting to get to me! Does anyone know of a resource?

treilley

Sustaining Partner
If they are 20 years old, there is little hope. Maybe a marine salvage store. Might be best to buy the cheapest 6.5 inch speakers you can find just for the grills. You can probably resell the speakers on ebay for what you paid.

Captron

Member III
Speakers

I had the same problem with my E38 ... kicked out the speaker grills. I replaced them with Jensens from West Marine (must have had better cash flow in those days) ... they lasted about a year before they too got brittle and got kicked in.

Then I replaced them with a set I bought on E-Bay for $15. They're now 1 year old and working fine.

Bob Robertson

Member III
Speaker Covers

Hi Leon,

I wasn't sure if your speaker covers are cracked or just looking bad. We sprayed ours with some spray paint designed for plastic and they came out looking like new.
I don't remember the details on the paint, but if it would be of help I'll find out.

Leon Sheean

Member II
Thank you Bob, but I need to replace the grills since they are becoming brittle and showing the effects of physical contact from the skippers heel!