Starboard for structural work ?

Sven

Seglare
Can starboard be used for structural work ? There are flat areas in the cockpit where an ancient autopilot control panel has been installed. I need to fill those holes when I remove the old equipment. I'm wondering if using starboard or something like that is the right approach for filling in the large holes.

Thanks,

-Sven

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It is, AFAIK, not a reinforced material (like Marlon, for instance). If you have a place requiring point loading at some future time, go with G10/FR4, for instance.
This opinion valued at $.01, with Monday discount.
:)
Loren

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Starboard flexes, expands, and contracts. It isn't structural. I wouldn't even use it for an unsupported tabletop. It is great for trim and covers and applications where it is held up by other stuff.

stuartm80127

Member II
covering holes

If it were my boat and I could get to the back side I would recommend that it be glassed in for strength and water resistance. I never could get Starboard to make a good seal with anything when I had a Catalina 18 (more deserving of starboard :) ). See Don Casey Sailboat Repair book or West Systems. With it sealed properly you can then apply some gelcoat or deck paint depending where the holes are. As example I glassed in holes for old nav instruments and then added the new ones with smaller holes. I mounted the new instruments on a 1/2 inch thick 9*12 teak panel with rounded edges drilled appropriate holes through both teak and glass and then mounted teak to glass. Used alcohol to prep teak and bedded with white poly sulphide. Fastened with screws.

Sven

Seglare
Thanks Tenders and Stuart.

Reinforcements on the back side are a "yes". I can get to them and there is no reason not to do it.

-Sven