Stripped and sanded

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Here is a photo of my mast with the paint removed(finally). The section below the spreader bracket has been chemically stripped and sanded with 150 grit. The section above has not been sanded yet. I am waiting on my paint shipment. I will apply a coat of Interlux viny-lux primer followed by 2 coats of Primekote epoxy primer(fill in between) and finally 2 coats of Perfection platinum. I plan on rolling and tipping the finish which I hope to come up nearly as smooth as the original.

Attachments

• mast.jpg
    mast.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 132

Emerald

Really interested in your experience with the Perfection. I'd love to see some macro photos of the finish when you are done. The next question will be durability after a year's sailing.

JMS

Member II
Yes, please keep us updated. I am going to be doing this in the not to distant future and was thinking about using Perfection -> even the same color.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
My plan is to write up a technical article with photos for the website. I will use the spreaders to perfect my brushing technique. I have used Brightsides to paint my Rhodes and it came out pretty well.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Considering I am using all Interlux products, I will probably use Interfill.

BTW, Boatersland Marine has the chepest prices on paint I have been able to find. Perfection - $43.22. Interlux 2000e - $59.37

www.boatersland.com

Glyn Judson

Painting the mast.

Tim, Your thought about starting with the spreaders reminds me of the time years ago when talking with a Sterling sales rep, he told me that he recommends to all novices that they paint from the top down for the same reason you're starting with the spreaders. His logic was that if there is a learning curve, the early part of that will not be seen from the deck. Good luck and I look forward to the finished result, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA