Tall ships

hodo

Member III
Anyone going to tacoma for the Tall Ships this weekend? Sounds like we might cruise by for a look on saturday.Had my son buff the hull last weekend. Might as well show it off ! It looks pretty cool. s/v Mischief Maker :devil:

e38sailorman

Member II
Tacoma Tall Ships

Anybody that has a chance should go check out these ships. I was in Quartermaster Harbor on Wednesday and at the parade of sail yesterday. The Mexican and Russian ships both went over by Tacoma Yacht Club, turned east and set all sails and sailed downwind along Ruston Way. Wonder when the last time a full rigged ship sailed in Commencement Bay? It was truely awsome.

Marc

hodo

Member III
We moor in North Tacoma at Chinook landing, so we are right there anyway. The weekend is filling up fast but it will be either Sat. Noonish, or Sun. am. hodo :devil: Sean, you were asking about it because.......?Looking for a ride?

Last edited:

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
I got, got, got, got no time...

As much as we would love to come down to Tacoma and see the tall ships from the water, it's just not going to be possible. The class I'm taking this summer has three projects running - concurrently - all that are due on Wednesday the 6th, so I don't have any free time at all.

Thanks very much for the offer, though - I appreciate it. I hope you guys have an excellent fourth and an enjoyable (and safe) time out on the water.

//sse

Mike.Gritten

Member III
You guys can always come up to Vancouver later this week (July6-10) and see the Tall Ships here during the Vancouver Festival of the Sea. :)

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Thanks Mike - it's appreciated more than you know. At some point we're going to come up to Vancouver to visit and stock up on meds - we would love to stop by and say hello.

Take a look at what I spent my July 4th weekend building: a lightbox (it alters light via various means)!

//sse

Attachments

• SideOpening.jpg
    SideOpening.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 113
  • Right_StFoy.jpg
    Right_StFoy.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 118
  • Left-DantesWaitingRoom.jpg
    Left-DantesWaitingRoom.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 115
  • Center-KimballArt.jpg
    Center-KimballArt.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 114

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Ummm, Sean, that "light box" looks like some sort of artifact brought back through the Stargate! Is it safe to stand near it too long??
:)

Loren

Mike.Gritten

Member III
We dinghied out to have a look at the Tall Ships. They were in English Bay about 1/4 mile from where we tie up at False Creek Yacht Club. Magnificient....is about the only word that comes to mind to descibe being close to these vessels. The big Russian boat sets 5 courses of squares on three masts! Visually stunning. Go see 'em if you get the chance.

Sean, I have no idea what you have built there, but, it looks really ....interesting :confused:

Mindscape

Member III
Lite altering device

Sean - no doubt this light altering device is highly functional......but in terms of what it does to light - is there any chance it alters light into....say beer or wine??

Nick Reynolds

Member II
Mind Altered

Do you think that light has altered Sean's mind?

I love the tall ships. In fact I love them so well that I took my daughter and the two of us crewed on the Lady Washington for most of two weeks. http://ladywashington.org/

It was cheap, just $250 per person for the two weeks (that was in 2000), pretty good for room, board, and entertainment. But it is kind of a weird experience. You spend most of your time (as a newbie) polishing the brass, cleaning the head and galley, and conducting tours of the boat. But, it was all worth it to get to hang on the yards, 80 feet above the water, furling sails with the boat rocking and rolling across Elliott Bay (I think that is called "roller furling"). Besides that, they shoot off the one pounders on occasion (that would be a really good upgrade for my boat!).

I was out of town over that weekend, but hopefully some of you got to see 'em.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
A Book

While you're on the subject of Tall Ships, the book Fair Wind & Plenty Of It - A Modern-Day Tall Ship Adventure by Rigel Crockett was favorably reviewed in 48° North recently. I picked up a copy at the local Library and would also recommend it if you're into reading about them.

I'm 3/4 through the book and haven't been getting drowsy these past few nights. I think it will have a much happier ending than the movie "White Squall."

hodo

Member III
Tall ships, proper lighting

We had a great time cruising the tall ships in Tacoma. The sun was out,the scenery was great, Tall ships included. Sean needs to know, there are much easier and satisfying ways to alter light. My favorites include watching the sun go down through a glass of merlot or a nice amber beer. Cheers, Harold :devil: