The folding cockpit/cabin table project

Sven

Seglare
We got the table almost done in time for the 4th. We didn't fill the screw holes yet, the varnishing is far from done, and one leg is about 1/8th too short, but it was done enough to take out.

The pictures from the project are posted at

http://homepage.mac.com/nancy_n_sven/PhotoAlbum13.html

The design is not mine, it is the design from my parents' 27' bleached mahogany sloop ... a design that stuck in my mind because of its functionality and simplicity.

Best of all ... it works and is a lot less ugly than the WM table we used to use :)

-Sven

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Great workmanship!

Nice selection of photos. You use the same varnish we use, and even wear a similar T shirt!
Seriously, thought, seeing the new table in use is great. It looks like it is almost braced against the traveler. That whole picture gives more weight to restoring the tiller to our boat, to gain a lot of room at happy hour!

You are a good wood crafter. Thanks for sharing.

Loren

ps: if I made one of those, the top would be hexel honeycomb! No varnished romance-of-the-sea there... :)

Last edited:

Sven

Seglare
Lesson learned

Thanks for the positive feedback !

I did learn something new doing this project. Ripping solid flat and straight mahogany does not mean that you will end up with a flat and straight piece of material.

The leg I thought was 1/8th of an inch too long is actually another leg which is now slightly curved and thus functionally too short. I noticed it when looking at our own pictures from the project :-(

Since everything is screwed and glued I'll have to make one new leg assembly if it gets any worse, but if it stays as it is we'll live with it a bit crooked. The lesson is to watch ripped stock for a day before assuming it will stay straight, or use Loren's hexel honeycomb trick :)

-Sven