The launch of Rambler 88

supersailor

Contributing Partner
For some reason our program is dropping 2015/01/15/off the link. It is there if I try to edit but not on the page. This program confounds me. Here's the link again.

Nope, it's still dropping most of the date. in the edit mode, it is still showing the proper url. It's something in our program that's changing it. It's beyond my skills. Sorry.

http://totalboatshow.com/wordpress/2015/01/15/rambler-launch/

This does take you to the totalboat site. Click on the left bottom Rambler Launch. It's the tough way but it gets you there.

Last edited:

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Launch of Rambler

Randy,

If you want to go 40 knots off a 40 foot sea in the roaring forties in the dead of night, the Rambler is for you. If you want to stay dry, be able to sleep at sea, and not have a heart attack because your adrenalin is on overload, the E-29 is for you. The thought of having to sheet in that incredible genny gives me nightmares. That's enough sail to wrap around my house several times!

I think my E-34 is one of the best all around boats ever built. It goes like stink and is gorgeous too. The new design trend has split sailors in two. You buy a flat out racing machine suitable for racing only or a party barge. The really nice all around boats like ours are disappearing.

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
I would not be able to buy a new boat built anything near the quality of our Ericson. And as for forty knots, speed for K$ my boat would be supersonic compared to the Rambler88. And I bet the owner can't singlehand the 88.

I was asked once by a friend, What boat would you want if you could have anything. I thought about it over a weekend and told him and Ericson 29, I must have meant it since I bought another for the coast. For us the 29 is big enough and the bigger a boat gets the bigger its appetite for cash.

Maine Sail

Member III
I thought you guys might like to watch this launch of Rambler 88. This boat is designed only to go faster and fastest (as in 20, 30 and 40kn). Forget comfort! It's what happens when awesome amounts of money meet an insatiable desire to win. Check out that incredible jib. Remember, this is an 88 footer.

I think I will keep my 34.

http://totalboatshow.com/wordpress/2015/01/15rambler-launch

I recently did a consult on R-88's lithium system and she is a very cool boat. Once they work out the electrical system she's a force to be reckoned with... Also got to work recently with Stan Honey, who is the navigator on Comanche, Jim Clark & Kristy Hinze's new no holes barred race boat. Comanche is simply amazing......

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Launch of Rambler 88

Main Sail,

Were I 30 years younger (or maybe 40) Rambler would be pulse pounding. I kind of threw it up there to show what can be done when money is no object. Maybe I can buy one of these in 30 years during the next depression. I don't seem to have 30 friends to help me man the thing, though.

I like the how to do its you have on your website. I will be ordering some butyl tape from you.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The new design ideas are trickling down. Appeared in the berth next to me this week a C&C 30. Crew of six. They reported 14 knots in 20-knots max winds. There are only two on the West Coast so far, but apparently 14 built in Rhode Island and 20 more on order. Farr 28 similar. They'll make great class boats if enough people put down 150K.

Or the crew could have three or four Lasers each....
The-CC-30-One-Design-rocket-ship-Launches-29.jpg

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Speaking of combining very high power with very low weight, and very limited accommodations ...

Here's the land version, sort of: a 427 kit-built Cobra. Less $ than the new 30 foot ultralight, too. (like practicality has anything to do with it)
:rolleyes:

Loren

Attachments

• Cobra 427.jpg
    Cobra 427.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 103