• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

The straw that stirs the drink.

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
The EYO Southern California regional forum is...uh...underwhelming Where is the social spirit we see in the rest of the country? Are we busier? Do we have less places, opportunity, or desire to sail? Are we overly anxious about the opinions of our fellows or our own capacities? Or are we each hearing our own Sirens?

What's that? If things are so bad why don't I do something about it? I think I will. I hereby unilaterally nominate myself the "Ericson Yacht Owners Chair of Social Activities (Pro Tem), Southern California Region"

First order of business is to create a list of parties interested.

Second order is to create a Calendar of dates and locations for events on land and sea.

All the ingredients for a marvelous cocktail are here, I just want to be the straw that stirs the drink.

For 22 I have been called Bepi. Some call me...Tim.

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
First Event Two Harbors June 5th weekend. Fly the letters E.Y.O. from your signal halyards. A cold Stella awaits every visitor to Roxanne.

Last edited:

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
For the Two Harbors June 5th weekend... the weather window Go/NoGo call will be made at 6pm, Wednesday, June 2nd. Don't miss your chance to meet Bepi who you might remember from his role as "Bepi" on the spellbinding drama "America's Next Top Model".

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
All Clear for the Two Harbors Weekend. Wind and weather are on our side. Cocktail hour is at 4pm, Saturday, the 5th of June, aboard Roxanne. Music by "The Paraffin Lamps" Looking forward to a beautiful weekend and to meeting fellow Ericson owners. Be sure to fly flags E.Y.O. from your signal halyard.

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
Glorious 53rd Birthday weekend. Started Thursday the 3rd with a birthday night solo sail to Two Harbors, pitch black night with a red tide that sparkled green like static on a T.V.. Joined by my brother Friday to Sunday and exchanged him at the cattle boat for my two children with whom I sailed to Emerald Bay and enjoyed two days of hiking and beach combing. Got back to the slip an hour ago. Not one Ericson owner showed for the cocktail hour, the loss was not mine, for who could count a long weekend at the island as anything but well worth it.

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Here's the thing Bepi. Southern California has to have the greatest concentration of Ericsons on the planet yet trying to organize something out here is like pulling teeth. About 25 years ago, I tried to organize an Ericson rendezvous at Two Harbors. I got Pacific Seacraft to sponsor it, they booked a guest editor from Sailing magazine, organized a regatta, sent out press releases to the sailing rags, I posted flyers in all the so cal yacht clubs, etc. etc. Guess what? The turnout was very disappointing with only a handful of owners actually showing up. I never really understood why given the numbers of boats here, but I wish you the best in your new role as So Cal Chair of Social Activities!

Martin....headed to Two Harbors on Monday.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The turnout was very disappointing with only a handful of owners actually showing up. I never really understood why given the numbers of boats here,
On this point, you sure do have a point.
Decades ago, I was (lightly) moaning to a sailing buddy about the turnout for some of our sailing club raft-ups and overnighters. He said that the way he saw it was to always be happy with the size of the group actually there and not obsess about 'numbers'... i.e. if the two of us are there, the event is a "Complete Success!" :)
As for the absentees, they missed out!

Takeaway... is that you can only do your best, and be content.

Having visited Catalina only once, for a short night-stop during a delivery I sure WISH I could join all you folks down in SoCal for a gam. :egrin:

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
... i.e. if the two of us are there, the event is a "Complete Success!" :)
Well you can tell yourself that, but Pacific Seacraft didn't see it that way. That was the last time they bothered with an Ericson rendezvous. Can't say I blame them as they had brought out their new pilothouse boat to show off among all the other effort / expenditures.

Having visited Catalina only once, for a short night-stop during a delivery I sure WISH I could join all you folks down in SoCal for a gam.
I will be there starting Monday and you are welcome aboard anytime!

jav317

Member III
I think its worth your efforts. Maybe, start with some get togethers on shore without our boats. People meet, get to know each other and exchange information. Then a couple of raft ups or small rendezvous in a harbor within reach from San Diego to MDR. I bet once it starts it will take off.
Joe