Things to do while hauled?

Rob

Member II
So, my boat's on the hard, getting some glasswork done, new standing rigging, new running rigging, new lifelines, new transducers. etc.

I'll be replacing some zincs, spraying a little lithium grease into the closed thru-hull seacocks, and maybe applying some anhydrous lanolin to the prop.

Anything else I should consider while she's on the hard?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Buff and wax the hull, especially the waterline part that is so hard to reach while afloat.
Pull any transducers that are not slated for replacement and put some new grease around their O rings.
Closely inspect the outer portion of any existing thruhull fittings. Check the strut and the cutlass bearing. Check nut and cotter on the prop. Etc.......

Actually, you have it covered quite well, in your initial post.

Our boat is also still out and will be for another couple of weeks -- yard is a bit behind due to other projects and we are in no hurry this time of year.

I plan to put some grease into the entry to each thruhull ball valve next, having filled the prop already with my grease gun.

While on the hard: New name and hailing port will finally go on both flanks, once the hull is buffed.

We got aboard yesterday -- interior thermometer was reading 39 deg. f.
Battery banks both at about 80% or better. (Master switch off)

Best,
Loren in PDX

Last edited:

Rob

Member II
Prop

Loren, your post reminded me of another small task. My prop is clean, but it does show faint evidence of having been fouled by various sticky critters. It's a Campbell Sailor - made of manganese bronze. Do you think I can (or should) give it a light sand? It's basically fine, but I would not say that it's perfectly smooth.

Cheers,

Rob

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Rob,
My best guess would be to call the prop maker and ask them what sort of "polishing" would be best.
I could imagine not wanting to accidently remove more material from one blade than from another, and affecting the balance. (Or is that a sign of worrying too much?)
:)

Loren

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Thru Hulls

Check all your thru-hull valves to ensure they turn easily. If not, then service them, if still not, then replace them. Fairly easy and cheap to do - with major results.

//sse

chaco

Member III
Don't forget to inspect / replace your flex connector and packing on the shaft packing gland. Ream all your intakes and outlets with nylon pipe brush.
Clean intake strainers and get prop specs....that is all :D

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
winches...

I'd do the winches while it's out of the water- lots easier to find the parts on land than in 12 ft of water:egrin: