Tips and Tricks for Underdeck Access

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Recently I've been working under the cockpit, with the usual issues. A few approaches and modifications have made things easier, or at least possible.

--Nonskid for slip issues. The footing in my cockpit lazarette hatch is bad. The hull slopes, stand in it and -- oops. After three years I greatly value the two square feet of nonskid paint I applied for better footing.

Universal 5432 Thelonious II  (29).JPG

--Ratchet wrench for hose clamps
. Two sizes covers all. When a hose clamp faces the wrong way, a screwdriver in confined spaces is awkward.

--Remove stuff for access. It took me a stubborn while to realize that, for any work in the bowels of the boat, it makes things much easier to clear the way first. On my model, the waterlift muffler and hose to the exhaust elbow come out pretty easily, which really clears the way to the stuffing box or engine. So does one end of a cockpit drain hose, if the hose is in the way. So does first removing all the gear down there (although I don't have any gear down there). The time spent is worth it, and once done a few times becomes routine.

no mufffler .JPG
Easy access with muffler removed from its platform

--Access ports. When a recurring job is easier from behind a bulkhead, an access port can be installed. Every subsequent owner will thank us.

Further ideas?

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
The non-skid on the hull is a great idea. I was just down there last week doing spring readiness items. Dri-Deck against the hull might also help with the traction problem on the curved hull. Sometimes just taking the exhaust hose off the top of the muffler is enough to allow my left shoulder far enough into the space. I can reach the exhaust elbow, heat exchanger zinc, transmission fill port that way.

I'm 5'11" and the hardest part of the under cockpit work is getting to the wiring and hoses running on the compartment ceiling. When I had the water heater out that was the best access, laying down under there behind the engine.

sailing42

Member II
Sometimes when you are in a wonderfull place inside the boat and are trying to install a certain size screw or other fastener and it decides otherwise and makes an escape Ive found a dab of sticky grease on the end of a old sail batten will usually retrieve it - that is till they make magnets for stainless steel hardware.

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Recently I've been working under the cockpit, with the usual issues. A few approaches and modifications have made things easier, or at least possible.

--Nonskid for slip issues. The footing in my cockpit lazarette hatch is bad. The hull slopes, stand in it and -- oops. After three years I greatly value the two square feet of nonskid paint I applied for better footing.

Further ideas?
Some years ago I wasted (more) money on some top grade unused marine carpeting....so I decided to make chicken salad out of chicken shi_, and put that carpeting to use in my starboard cockpit lazarette. It made a very slick, hard uncomfortable climb down and up from under the deck to almost (I say almost) a pleasure with that carpeting padding on that step down and against the hull sloping sides. Made a pattern, cut the carpeting and used carpeting adhesive. Looks nice and neat and functions perfectly.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hmmm. That Vimeo link is 'estranged' now, also.
OK. now working with the longer string of link bits. Thanks.

sailing42

Member II
My apologies Christian for getting the steam up but I have the tool, I call him sneaky Pete, but sometimes he colludes with the screw and decides to nudge it and help in the escape. The sticky gob of grease sometimes prevents any further disappearance into the dark recesses. Like all tools it depends on the circumstances and no one tool is perfect, sometimes you have to improvise.
Great Video.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
This is a trick that I've found very helpful when working in areas where gravity is not your friend. I recently upgraded the rope clutches and deck organizer on my E32-3 (1987). Part of the process, at the location of the deck organizer, was to slip a rather large fender washer over the bolts (securing the organizer to the deck) and then screwing on the nylon locking nut. This is all done while looking up at the bottom of the cabin roof, while holding back the unzipped liner and squeezing my hand in the the limited space without allowing the heavy fender washer to fall off the bolt end while reaching for the nut. If I had three hands it would work but I don't. However, I was using butyl tape (my preference for sealing) to bed the deck organizer. So, I took a small dab of butyl tape and applied it to the fender washer, just enough to temporally stick it to the bottom of the cabin roof which gave me the time to grab a nylon locking nut and screw it on. The little bit on the nut was just smashed down when I tightened things up. A simple trick but one that's very effective when you're struggling against gravity.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Bob - good trick.
Coincidentally, I used the same trick on Saturday while replacing a bent stanchion base ... I used butyl tape to bed the new base down, and then, with a helper holding the bolt in place while I was like you down below - squeezing my hand through the unzipped headliner into a tiny gap under the deck to hold a heavy backing washer in place with one hand before reaching for the nut with my other hand and then for the ratcheting wrench with my ... 3rd hand. I wouldn't have thought of butyl tape as an extra hand either, except that I to had just used it on-deck to mount the hardware. Butyl tape has earned a permanent place on the boat, instead of on a shelf in the garage at home.