Transmission E36C

haytor

I have owned my E36C called Mariah for a year and find it will not back up very well.
As the engine is offset to Stbd with prop slightly offset to port.
When I reverse the boat walks to port very radically...
The engine and transmission were replaced in 2010....the shaft rotates clockwise when viewed from astern and it has a RH Prop...
Did the original transmission rotate counter clockwise with a LH Prop...
I believe that would solve the reversing problem...
Thanks in advance!

erikwfab

Member II
Greetings,
Having owned owned an E36C for 15 years on USWC and sailed her extensively, I can verify that she will back any direction you want so long as its to port! Reversing prop direction could help or make it worse, never really gave it much thought, I just know when choosing slips and tie ups that this is fact. This trait is one of the many joys of owning the sexiest, Ericson ever built! we may not get there first but we are relaxed and happy.
Fair winds and following seas!

haytor

Thanks for your prompt reply your description mirrors my experience...I have reached out to Bob Perry a Friend and Tad Roberts who used to work with Bruce King...
Was your boat for sale a couple of years ago with some headliner work.....
Yes one of the best looking boats ever, and the cockpit is amazing....
Just refurbishing the mast which I will be stepping in the next couple of weeks....
Cheers
Tim Knight

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have not seen this name in a long long time. Your site bio sez you are retired, and a friend of Bob Perry. Hmmm...
Did you used to build sails in Seattle?
:rolleyes:

Regards,
Loren

haytor

Yup, Loren Tim Knight here....had lofts in Seattle, Anacortes, Vancouver and Sidney!
Do you still have your Olson??
Tim

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yup, Loren Tim Knight here....had lofts in Seattle, Anacortes, Vancouver and Sidney!
Do you still have your Olson??
Tim
Wow! Small World indeed.
We do still have the O-34, and have some blog entries on this site of projects and upgrades.
Please put up some photo's of your boat in an "album" when you find time and inclination.
I have a few pix posted here: https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/media/users/loren-beach.28/

Take care,
Loren

ps: I learned a lot about sails and great customer service when briefly being an agent for your Seattle loft, about 40 years ago.
:egrin:

Last edited:

erikwfab

Member II
Small planet indeed, yes I replaced the headliner with T&G and funny thing is I have just re-decided to sell her this weekend.
Not going into details, other than spend a great weekend at Catalina on her, nor actively advertising as she is a friend, but if the right person is in the market She could be for yours.
Cheers,

haytor

Small planet indeed, yes I replaced the headliner with T&G and funny thing is I have just re-decided to sell her this weekend.
Not going into details, other than spend a great weekend at Catalina on her, nor actively advertising as she is a friend, but if the right person is in the market She could be for yours.
Cheers,
After talking with you, folks in Wisconsin, surveyed one in Rochester, made offers on one in Anacortes, I bought Mariah, sight unseen from Roche Harbor on San Juan Island during the pandemic border closure, I live on Vancouver Island in British Columbia....
Did you read my original post regarding backing down and a huge prop walk to port?
Is your prop a Right Hand or Left Hand? and how does it back up?
Good luck with the sale of your Boat!
Cheers
Tim

haytor

Wow! Small World indeed.
We do still have the O-34, and have some blog entries on this site of projects and upgrades.
Please put up some photo's of your boat in an "album" when you find time and inclination.
I have a few pix posted here: https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/media/users/loren-beach.28/

Take care,
Loren

ps: I learned a lot about sails and great customer service when briefly being an agent for your Seattle loft, about 40 years ago.
:egrin:
So glad your still sailing the Columbia river with your boat, it has been well loved!
Yeah have a few pictures to post, new Chainplates, new Mast step, R&R'd the Fore Deck and Cockpit.....
Cheers Tim

KRAllen1

S/V Victoria
I have sailed Eric 36C #45 since 1996. I repowered the boat with Yanmar 3JH2E and have a 17" 2 bladed flexifold prop. I love the prop esp in Maine with lobster pots and offshore with weed and old fishing line. I think it is RH only because I just picked the prop up with my RH.. I should know but can't say for sure and couldn't find the original invoice. The boat has plenty of power, I can hold the nose up in 40 squalls and she stops on a dime. But walks to port. Sometimes I can get her to go where I want in reverse but more times than not its an experience, get out the fenders and go slow. Ken Allen SV Victoria #45

Bolo

Contributing Partner
I have owned my E36C called Mariah for a year and find it will not back up very well.
As the engine is offset to Stbd with prop slightly offset to port.
When I reverse the boat walks to port very radically...
The engine and transmission were replaced in 2010....the shaft rotates clockwise when viewed from astern and it has a RH Prop...
Did the original transmission rotate counter clockwise with a LH Prop...
I believe that would solve the reversing problem...
Thanks in advance!
I own a E32-3 (1987) and although not the same “exactly“ as a E36 I too have prop walk to port in reverse which is typical to many sailboats. I do use it to my advantage though and you can see that in the first few minutes of my YouTube video.