Transom Dimensions

Don Calcote

I've just bought an Ericson 29 and am ordering the new name lettering. The boat's about 150 miles away from me and I won't see it until the weekend. Does anyone know what the width of the transom is? And yes, I do plan on an elaborate de-naming and naming ceremony, too! Don't want any of the gods upset with me!

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Welcome to the clan.

I would be inclined to wait until you are at the boat to determine what you want to do with the name. It would not be a good idea to have a stern ladder foot or an exhaust thru hull in the middle of a letter.

FWIW, you can get a better price from a local sign maker (truck lettering,etc) than from a marine supplier.

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Congrats on the new boat. You will love her.

I am attaching a transom shot of my E29, the width is 74” and the height is 33.5”. If you don’’ have a ladder to contend with you should be able to order from this. I would consider planning on a ladder, I can’t get back onboard from the water with a rope over the side.

I considered considered a name change for Rumkin but just took the easy way and kept it. I now find Rumkin to mean a short glass or a “drinking vessel” so I keep the bar stocked well.

Attachments

• transom.jpg
    transom.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 71

Don Calcote

Thanks for the info and the advice. I'm going over to the boat this weekend BEFORE it's moved to my home-lake and take a measurement. It does have a ladder and I'm not sure where it rests on the transom. Better to make sure before I order the vinyl.....

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Just to be safe, it's a good idea to get a full size paper proof sheet to test the idea. You can tape it on and test the visibility from a distance.

I am always amazed at how many boat names are unreadable from more than a few feet away. I guess that's OK if you just want to recognize your own boat, but others are rarely as close as you are. :)

Congrats!!!

Don, congrats on your new boat!!! I hope you have many years of enjoyment out of her.

Keep in touch with this board. These guys are a huge database of knowledge and experience!!

Bart and Cheri
former owners of The Blue Heeler